Producer - Investigative Unit
This person creates and curates stories that are published and shared across CNN's mobile and desktop sites, apps, social accounts and other platforms. This is not just an 'article writer.' This is someone who knows how to write briefly and breezily when needed, but who can handle high-concept stories, as well. S/he knows how to live blog, how to write in formats that go beyond the newspaper-style article including lists, bullet points, stories with embedded video and social as well as basic charts and graphics templates. Writers will often help shape story ideas and angles around complex topics. They will pitch/execute stories on their own. When a big story breaks, writers will take the lead in updating the main story for all mobile and desktop platforms, making sure the latest developments are accurately and swiftly published. S/he follows best practices for SEO and tagging. In any given day, a writer may be asked to work with correspondents in the field, to do writes off of TV including CNN air or press conferences/speeches, to write newsletters or alerts. Writers must also be skilled at finding distinctive stories or finding ways to tell the news of the day in distinctive ways. All writers must be their own copy editors -- this isn't to say that they won't have a second set of eyes because all copy does -- but that CNN's news writers are skillful and swift. They turn in clean, crisp and conversational copy on the first draft. All writers need to have a competitive and creative drive. Writers are also voracious readers and viewers of CNN's content and far beyond and they are encouraged -- no, expected -- to share ideas about the many ways to write and tell stories as platforms continue to proliferate. If you want to write only pyramid stories in a distant and disengaged voice, this is not the job for you.
• Creates, develops and edits content for multiple platforms.
• Takes assignments for daily news and some longer-term stories and projects.
• Pitches story ideas that support key stories/themes/initiatives or that otherwise dazzle.
• Contributes to special features and stories as assigned.
• Collaborates tightly with the CNN's news gathering teams, social teams, video teams and Digital programming teams.
• Curates content within stories -- linking to key video, galleries, existing work inside CNN or referenced external work that should be attributed, ranging from affiliates to competitor sites.
• Cares deeply about accuracy and integrity and in maintaining and growing the trust CNN has with audiences worldwide.
• Ability to write clear, accurate news stories.
• Experience writing breaking news in real time as a story unfolds.
• Ability to frame stories for a national digital audience.
• A track record of pitching and executing national story ideas.
• At least 3 or more years of digital storytelling experience.
• College degree or equivalent.
• Paid time off every year to volunteer
• Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
• 2018 Best Company for Working Mothers
• 2018 Best Company for Dads
• An in-house learning and development team to help shape and grow your career
• Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
We are the now and the next. The power behind the people building the future. We are born from the spirit of innovation. We are created from the idea that people around the world want more, need more, deserve more. We are the home of the global digital revolution. We are CNN.
The application for this position is hosted at the Employer's site. Click on the button below to open the application page in a new tab in your browser.Apply at Employer's Site