Senior Software Engineer
Los Gatos, CA US
With the explosion of Internet TV, Netflix has grown to serve over 180 million paid subscribers in over 190 countries worldwide. The Platform Engineering group enables this growth by providing Netflix engineering teams with technical products, tools, and services that allow them to spend less time operating infrastructure and more time on building innovative experiences for our members and creators. To do this, we deploy hundreds of services, on thousands of instances, across multiple regions, and millions of client devices.
Within Platform Engineering, our Cloud Infrastructure team's mission is to increase the agility, efficiency, and reliability of our compute and networking offerings, while reducing operational burden on application owners. As Netflix continues to scale, these teams are evolving our infrastructure strategy by further investing in multi-tenant containers as our core compute primitive, improving our network to better support service discovery and communication across modern application architectures, and providing a seamless experience to engineering teams when accessing infrastructure resources. All of this while scaling our operational support coverage and tooling globally.
We are looking for a Director of Product Management to build and lead a team of senior product managers that will partner directly with our Cloud Infrastructure teams to drive product vision and strategy across their offerings. Product Management is a new team in Platform Engineering and we're on a mission to raise the level of product thinking across the organization. If you're looking for a deeply technical and highly dynamic opportunity that will have an outsized impact on the future of software engineering at Netflix, we'd love to talk to you!
What you will do:
• Drive product vision and strategy across cloud infrastructure offerings
• Build, lead, and mentor an high-performance team of product managers to develop product roadmaps that inform engineering teams what problems need to be solved
• Develop strong partnerships with Netflix engineering teams, creating continuous feedback loops that allow us to better understand their problems
• Ensure we are solving the right problems by sourcing input from multiple channels and prioritizing effectively to drive maximum impact for Netflix
• Create an environment that fosters high quality, metrics-driven experimentation and set high standards for how we measure product success
• Engage deeply in the external tech community to stay abreast of industry innovation and represent Netflix at conferences, meetups, and in OSS communities
• Partner with other product leaders across Platform Engineering and Netflix, to evolve our practices and competencies in technical product management
• Foster a diverse product management environment that is empathetic to all stakeholders and inclusive in both our interactions and products
What we are looking for:
• A healthy blend of deep technical knowledge and customer-focused mindset
• Demonstrated understanding in infrastructure technologies at scale
• Strategic thinker that can relate technology solutions to customer use cases
• Ability to manage a portfolio of bigger and smaller bets across your team, while balancing short-term goals and long-term vision
• Comfortable applying a combination of qualitative and quantitative methods to define success and problem solving without perfect metrics
• Good balance of IQ & EQ to be able to solve both technical and social challenges
• 10+ years in product management working directly with engineering teams
• 5+ years with responsibility across a portfolio of products, tools, and/or services
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
A few more things about us:
As a team, we come from many different countries and our fields of education range from the humanities to engineering to computer science. Our team includes product managers, program managers, designers, full stack developers, distributed systems engineers, data scientists and folks have the opportunity to wear different hats, should they choose to. We strongly believe this diversity has helped us build an inclusive and empathetic environment, and are looking forward to adding your perspective to the mix!
Our culture is unique, and we tend to live by our values, so it's worth learning more about Netflix here.
Want to know more about our Cloud Infrastructure teams? Check out:
• Opensourcing Titus
• Disenchantment: Netflix Titus, Its Feisty Team, and Daemons
• Evolution of Edge @Netflix
• Scaling Push Messaging for Millions of Netflix Devices
The application for this position is hosted at the Employer's site. Click on the button below to open the application page in a new tab in your browser.Apply at Employer's Site