Full Time Job
- Full Time
- Mid (2-5 years) Experience
WGNO, the ABC affiliate in New Orleans, is looking for an experienced journalist to serve as Evening Anchor of our newscasts.
We want a journalist who has it all: great storyteller, strong on-air presence, big personality, big energy, social-media star, digital-first mindset, and a news junkie who will help us win breaking news.
We need someone who is curious and competitive. Above all, you need to have an optimistic outlook and a winning attitude.
Our anchors are working journalists. The successful candidate should be prepared to take an active role in news gathering every day, across all screens and platforms.
Leadership is a must! You'll be expected to lead by example and work with managers to coach and motivate other staff.
Overall, we're looking for an experienced, hard-working journalist with a positive attitude and a team-oriented, leadership nature who can drive higher levels of social engagement, web traffic, and television viewing from our audience.
• Presents news stories and other content for all platforms.
• Ensures that all news content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality.
• Writes and delivers news stories in a clear and concise manner.
• Assists in writing, copy editing, researching and coordinating news programming and other content.
• Acts as a field reporter as assigned.
• Conducts interviews with news personnel and others.
• Responds to breaking news, weather, and sports and other urgent newsroom situations as required.
• Participates in promotional activities including public appearances.
• Performs special projects and other duties as assigned.
• Edits video clips as assigned.
• Writes content for the website and other social media platforms.
• Interacts with viewers/users on social media sites.
Requirements & Skills:
• Bachelor's degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
• Fluency in English.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, with the ability to ad lib when required.
• Minimum three years of news anchoring experience.
• Superior on-air presence.
• Excellent news judgment with an expansive knowledge of local and national current events, history, newsmakers and issues.
• Experience guiding, directing and motivating others.
• Ability to identify the developmental needs of others and to coach, mentor or otherwise help others to improve their knowledge or skills.
• Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, and other office equipment.
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Ability to effectively listen to fully understand problems and communicate with a team to shape a solution.
• Valid driver's license with a good driving record.
• Flexibility to work any shift.
If interested, apply online and email resume and an online link of your work to Rick Erbach at firstname.lastname@example.org .
*Must include a link to online reel when applying in order to be considered.