The News Reporter for the State Capitol Bureau in Alabama, collects, analyzes and presents facts about newsworthy events by interview, investigation or observation for all platforms in a manner that is clear, engaging and meaningful to news consumers for four Alabama and surrounding Nexstar stations.
• Build network of informational sources that will enable the company to stay ahead of its competitors. Cover Alabama legislature during sessions January thru May and special legislative sessions.
• Present clear, creative and accurate live shots. Live shots for all Alabama and surrounding Nexstar stations.
• Gather accurate and interesting information for newscast presentations. Governor day to day coverage, press conferences, dignitaries from other States and Countries visiting State Capitol for meetings with Governor.
• Develop ideas for news, feature and enterprise pieces, as well as investigative stories specifically to State Government stories, (Many initiatives presented every week affecting Alabamians) Attorney General court cases and decisions, and State Supreme Court Decisions.
• Collect and analyze facts about newsworthy events by interview, investigation, or observation including Economic announcements and jobs coming to the State, Alabama Tourism announcements, and initiatives and effects on the State.
• Campaign coverage from Montgomery (State, Congressional)
• Investigate State Government waste reports
• Produce accurate, complete and compelling news copy on deadline.
• Determines a story's emphasis, length and format, and organizes material accordingly
• Researches and analyzes background information related to news stories to be able to provide complete and accurate information
• Discusses issues with producers and/or news managers to establish priorities or positions
• Checks reference materials such as books, news files or public records to obtain relevant fact
• Ensures that all content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality
• Writes stories for the web and other eMedia platforms
• Interacts with viewers/users on social media sites
• Performs special projects and other duties as assigned
Re quirements & Skills :
• Bachelor's degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience
• Fluency in English
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
• Minimum two years' experience in news reporting (More or less depending on market size)
• Superior on-air presence
• Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
• Valid driver's license with a good driving record
• Flexibility to work any shift
Nexstar Media Group is America’s largest local television and media company with 196 full power stations (including partner stations) in 114 markets addressing nearly 63% of US television households and a growing digital media operation.
The application for this position is hosted at the Employer's site. Click on the button below to open the application page in a new tab in your browser.Apply at Employer's Site