Specialist, Screening Operations - EMEA
Amsterdam, NH NL
Like all great companies, we strive to hire the best and we value integrity, excellence, respect, inclusivity, and collaboration. What is special about Netflix, among other things, is our Culture.
We treat each country we enter differently since it is not just about translation, it is about providing our audience with an experience that feels local, and we do it at scale. Our team is looking for an experienced Middle East & Africa Language Manager to manage the overall language strategy of all Arabic language localized product and assets for our Middle East & Africa audience. This person will also be responsible for managing the language strategy for our Hebrew localized product and assets.
They will work closely with external resources and internal stakeholders and partners at Netflix to create the best-localized content and product experience for our growing member in this region.
The role is based in Amsterdam and will be part of the EMEA Globalization team.
The Role (Duties & Responsibilities)
• Develop linguistic and cultural standards and guidelines, define quality expectations across the whole localized user experience (product and content), including supporting the development of style guides, glossaries, tone and voice of Netflix product (UI, navigation, synopses) and content (subtitling, title name localization, marketing) in the Middle East & Africa region.
• Monitor the linguistic quality output of each language in your region using our internal MQM-based LQA model and other internal quality metrics and KPIs, and provide feedback and context to the translation teams for each of the languages/markets supported, in order to ensure the best resource fit for the highest quality impact.
• Communicate proactively with Globalization cross-functional teams to anticipate, identify and fix linguistic, product, and subtitling issues related to your region.
• Proactively engage with relevant regional stakeholders in the Amsterdam office (e.g. Marketing, PR, Social) for additional context and insights on high visibility titles and to define and influence the best creative and linguistic approach for top priority content.
• Facilitate collaboration between internal stakeholders (in EMEA and US) and Vendors, making sure the necessary resources have access to the relevant information and advising on the best course of action regarding localization processes.
• Collaborate closely with other Globalization Language Managers and internal stakeholders (e.g. Globalization Program Managers, Content Acquisition teams) to collect relevant cultural and linguistic information about Netflix International Originals content and support the localization effort to bring this content to a global audience.
• Partner with our International Dubbing team to influence the language strategy of local language dubbed assets for Netflix branded and unbranded content in the region.
• Gain deep product knowledge and awareness of product and content data for the Middle East & Africa region and define quality expectations through research and A/B testing.
• Proactively engage with internal and regional stakeholders to drive regional product initiatives and create an optimized and consistent local experience and ecosystem for our Middle East & Africa members.
Qualifications - The successful candidate
• Will thrive in our Culture;
• A solid experience writing and editing in Arabic in the entertainment space - experience in subtitling a must;
• Native fluency in Arabic and full professional fluency in English, Hebrew a plus ;
• Experience writing in Arabic for a multi-market audience and ability to address and advise on the Middle East & Africa regional language variant challenges;
• Strong knowledge of the movie/entertainment industry across the Middle East & Africa;
• Strong business acumen and proven stakeholder management skills;
• Self-starter: Ability to show initiative and work independently;
• Experience in creative localization (film and series title names, content synopses, entertainment-related articles, subtitling, dubbing) - knowledge of the product localization workflows and pitfalls a plus;
• Excellent communication, and interpersonal skills;
• Willingness to travel often in the region as well as between our LA and Bay Area offices.