Columbus, GA US
The successful candidate will be expected to find an investigative angle on daily coverage. These stories go beyond the basics of general assignment reporting and storytelling to uncover problems, hold those responsible accountable and press for solutions. In addition to regular daily reports, this reporter will also work on larger, long-term investigations and help cover breaking news as needed.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Develop ideas for realistic, executable, timely and important investigations on a daily basis.
• Collect and analyze facts about newsworthy events by interview, investigation, or observation.
• Daily contributions to digital first/digital only content along with consistent daily social media engagement.
• Produce accurate, complete and compelling news copy on deadline.
• Possesses exceptional research skills.
• Must be collaborative and willing to work with the entire team.
• Fluency in English
• Excellent reading, writing, spelling, grammar and organizational skills
• Superior on-air presence
• Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
• Promotes teamwork and maintains attitude of cooperation with all station personnel
• Valid driver's license with a good driving record
• Flexibility to work any shift, holidays and weekends
Requirements & Skills:
• Candidates must have a resume and online link showing investigative work.
• Candidates should know the basics of data analysis, public information requests and background research. They must have a track record of enterprising story ideas and developing key sources.
• Previous work must demonstrate compelling storytelling using dynamic live shots and stand-ups, creative graphics and daily use of digital and social media platforms.
• Candidates must have a minimum of five years reporting experience, including at least two years of investigative reporting.
• A bachelor's degree in journalism or related field preferred.
• This is not an entry-level position.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The Investigative Reporter must be able to sit, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work in close proximity to others, work outdoors occasionally in all weather conditions, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. In addition, the Investigative Reporter must be able to lift, set up and operate equipment weighing up to 25 pounds, and be able to handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls. Repetitive movements are required.
EEO Statement: Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
The application for this position is hosted at the Employer's site. Click on the button below to open the application page in a new tab in your browser.Apply at Employer's Site