Breaking News Reporter
New York, NY
NBC News is looking to hire a Senior Editor to oversee our coverage of Race, Equality and Justice for all platforms including TV, streaming, cable and digital. In this newly created position, the Senior Editor will play a pivotal role in shaping our coverage and cultivating critically important stories, while sitting at the cross-section of both our traditional and emerging platforms. In this role, the Senior Editor will work closely with editors and reporters across our Diversity verticals to amplify and expand their reporting for all platforms of NBC News & MSNBC. Beyond the Diversity verticals, the Senior Editor will partner with show teams and NBC News Units (Investigations, Health & Medical, Business, Tech & Media, Climate and Politics) to help shape and guide stories that include components of race, equality & justice. The Senior Editor will work to build and guide a coalition of reporters & correspondents across NBC News who will spend time covering stories at the intersection of race and their existing areas of focus e.g. race and health.
The Senior Editor should be a fearless storyteller with deep editorial expertise in race, equality & justice. The Senior Editor is uniquely positioned to ensure that stories and voices are heard across all the platforms and brands of NBC News. The Senior Editor, with support from our leaders across both television and digital, will contribute to the daily editorial agenda, and drive day of news stories in addition to original stories, series and perspectives.
• Manage daily coverage and the editorial process of Race, Equality and Justice story telling across all platforms.
• Help set editorial agenda and pitch story ideas to pursue.
• Develop and work across all platforms to identify both the day's top stories as well as thinking of where these stories are headed next.
• Work closely with our section editors, Unit heads, and show leaders on daily and special projects.
• Make full use of the range of NBC News resources, including network newsgathering and multimedia.
• 8+ years of professional work experience as a journalist – in TV and/or digital media.
• Prior experience in reporting and/or coverage of Race, Equality and Justice.
• Candidates should demonstrate their experience in assigning, writing and editing stories.
• Proven ability to work under tight-deadlines – especially in a breaking news environment.
• Team player with a proven ability to collaborate and communicate effectively across multiple teams
• Significant experience working with reporters and correspondents to shape pitches and stories, ideally in an cross platform environment
• Experience leading a team and creating a positive work environment
• Open to working a flexible schedule.