Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
NPR seeks an attorney with at least 12 years’ experience in legal positions of increasing responsibility (whether in-house, in private practice, or in government) with significant experience counseling tax exempt clients on nonprofit tax and related matters. This individual will serve as the principal in-house resource for all such matters, helping NPR embrace business opportunities while managing risk and ensuring compliance with nonprofit corporate and tax laws, advising on the structuring of transactions consistent with NPR’s tax-exempt mission, and supporting the philanthropic fundraising activities of NPR and the NPR Foundation. The ideal candidate also will have an interest in and substantive knowledge of media, copyright, technology, and communications law; experience drafting and negotiating complex agreements; experience managing the work of other lawyers and legal professionals; and a passion for the important work of NPR.
We are looking for a versatile lawyer with outstanding written and oral communications skills, mature judgment, a commitment to client service, and a proven ability to manage multiple projects, to set and adjust priorities, to work effectively under pressure, and to maintain composure and a sense of humor while doing so.
• Managing risk and ensuring compliance with nonprofit corporate and tax laws and regulatory requirements
• Counselling a variety of internal clients across programmatic and support units on the tax implications of NPR business strategies and specific initiatives, as well as on routine tax compliance and reporting matters
• Drafting and reviewing a broad range of institutional grant agreements, individual gift agreements, and related legal documents
• Counseling NPR’s philanthropic fundraisers on tax aspects of fundraising initiatives and activities
• Counseling NPR’s planned giving team on trust and estate matters
• Counseling clients regarding lobbying by exempt organizations, including as conducted by 501(c)(4) social welfare organizations
• Serving as a liaison with other departments to enhance inter-departmental collaboration
• Negotiating, structuring and drafting commercial contracts
• Leading and directing the work of others, including supervision and mentoring of junior attorneys, paralegals, administrative staff, legal fellows, interns, and outside counsel, with an emphasis on creating a process-focused, team-oriented organization
• Other duties depending on the experience of the successful candidate
EDUCATION: Degree from an accredited law school.
• At least 12 years of experience in legal positions of increasing responsibility
• Significant experience counseling tax exempt clients on nonprofit corporate and tax laws and related matters
• Outstanding written and oral communication skills
• Experience structuring, negotiating, and drafting complex contracts
• Demonstrated ability to teach and to mentor less experienced colleagues
• Mature judgment
• An orientation toward collaboration and client service; strong client relations skills
• Proven ability to manage multiple projects and to set and adjust priorities
• Proven ability to work under pressure
• Membership in good standing in (or eligibility to waive into) the District of Columbia Bar
• Experience representing media, communications, and technology clients
• Experience advising management on structuring and managing affiliated entities
To be considered for the position, you must provide a resume and a cover letter that explains how your professional experience relates to the qualifications and anticipated responsibilities for the position. We will consider applications on a rolling basis beginning on October 13, 2020.
NPR is an independent, nonprofit media organization that was founded on a mission to create a more informed public. Every day, NPR connects with millions of Americans on the air, online, and in person to explore the news, ideas, and what it means to be human.
The application for this position is hosted at the Employer's site. Click on the button below to open the application page in a new tab in your browser.Apply at Employer's Site