Crime & Justice Reporter
Washington, DC US
Fox News is looking for a strong leader, who is not afraid to make decisions and is motivated in guiding others, to join our assignment desk team in the Washington D.C. Bureau. The Senior Assignment Editor, will be a lead-by-example employee holding a daily position on the DC assignment desk with additional responsibilities of working with the Assignment Manager in designing systems, planning for major coverage events, improving communication and guiding other desk personnel when it comes to responding and keeping up on daily news developments. You must be an organized, motivated, curious individual with strong logistical and editorial skills. Familiarity with the workings of Congress, the White House and politics is a must. The Senior Assignment Editor must understand sourcing, fact checking, balancing and vetting of editorial information. You must be pro-active, work well with other managers and need limited guidance in communicating and guiding the assignment desk and reporting teams in an ever-changing news environment. The Senior Assignment Editor position is a leadership role, not only on the D.C. assignment desk but within the bureau and network alike. You must be comfortable in a decision-making position, be familiar with all positions on the assignment desk, including the satellite desk and willing to serve as the main fill-in for the Assignment Manager position.
A SNAPSHOT OF YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES
• Assist the Assignment Manager with coverage decisions and staffing issues, remaining reachable outside of normal office hours.
• Lead by example, and provides guidance to the full assignment desk on breaking and developing coverage.
• Reach out to bureau management team to flag breaking news, providing a plan of action and coverage for live broadcast.
• Pitch ideas on improving newsroom systems and efficiencies.
• Work with assignment editors and desk assistants to ask the right questions when it comes to assigning, moving and adjusting crew coverage to keep the network competitive at all times.
• Work with newsroom managers and beat producers in planning and adjusting coverage as news breaks.
• Monitor minute-by-minute editorial checking the accuracy and sourcing of our reporting
• Assist the Satellite Desk in prioritizing which events should be routed to New York and allocating our resources appropriately
• Assist during large scale planning events helping to arrange our unilateral and pool coverage responsibilities
• Reach out to agencies, government departments and fox personnel to gather and confirm information
• Ahead of major events, drafts concise coverage plans, sets up proper control room communication procedures and distributes information to field, show and network personnel.
• Organize and develop creative plans to maximize limited resources.
• Coordinate with field, technical and satellite desk personnel to make sure incoming feeds between DC and NY are prioritized to provide the most competitive coverage
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
• Bachelor's degree and at least 5 years of experience in a local or national newsroom
• Comfortable in a leadership role and not afraid to make decisions
• Must understand sourcing, fact checking, balancing and vetting of editorial information
• Strong logistical and editorial skills with knowledge of national and international politics
• Familiarity with the various D.C. government agencies, a must
• Keen understanding of how to gather news LIVE in the Washington, D.C. area and familiarity with satellite trucks, Live U technology, AVOC and various fiber drops
• Knowledge of network pool operations at the desk level with an emphasis on understanding the unilateral benefit
• A self-starter attitude paired with the ability to work independently and as a team player
• Ability to work in a fast paced environment, multitask, and prioritize on a daily basis, and especially in breaking news situations
• Strong communicator, motivated by mentoring and progressing others in the journalism field
• Familiarity with iNews, Outlook and ScheduAll a plus