Weekend Meteorologist / MMJ - News
The Assistant News Director assists the News Director with all aspects of news, weather and sports programming production, and serves as the News Director in his/her absence.
• Assists the News Director with management of all aspects of the News Department (other than Production.)
• Assists with planning, staffing, training, and performance evaluations for the News Department.
• Consults on decisions regarding hiring, evaluation, promotion and termination of employees.
• Develops news coverage strategy for the station and its website.
• Critiques newscasts daily to correct errors, improve coverage and provide mentoring feedback to news staff.
• Assigns projects to staff and verifies that deadlines are being met.
• Ensures achievement of viewer rating goals.
• Determines programming and evaluation of equipment needs to produce quality programming.
• Responds to coverage questions.
• Serves as the News Director in his/her absence.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Requirements & Skills:
• Bachelor's degree in Broadcast Journalism or Communications preferred.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
• Minimum five years' experience as an Assistant News Director or Executive Producer in news programming production preferred.
• Must have excellent supervisory and management skills.
• Must be a good coach and willing to train and mentor less experienced managers and employees.
• Must have exceptional editorial judgment and the ability to deliver compelling live television, as well as timely and consistent compelling comment in social media and online.
• Ability to identify the developmental needs of others and to coach, mentor or otherwise help others to improve their knowledge or skills.
• Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment.
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Ability to effectively listen to fully understand employee needs and communicate with a team to shape a solution.
• Fluency in English.
The application for this position is hosted at the Employer's site. Click on the button below to open the application page in a new tab in your browser.Apply at Employer's Site