The Weekend Meteorologist/MMJ forecasts weather conditions and produces and anchors weather reports for all platforms in a manner that is clear, engaging and meaningful to news consumers.
• Produces and presents weather reports for all platforms.
• Ensures that all weather content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality.
• Writes and delivers weather stories in a clear and concise manner.
• Assists in writing, copy editing, researching and coordinating weather programming and other content.
• Responds to breaking and/or severe weather events and other urgent newsrooms situations as required.
• Works closely with the weather team to develop comprehensive weather coverage.
• Participates in promotional activities including public appearances.
• Performs special projects and other duties as assigned.
• Writes web stories detailing the local forecast on a daily basis.
• Interacts with viewers and users on social media sites.
• Produces, reports, shoots, writes, voices, edits and feeds news production content for all platforms in a manner that is clear, engaging and meaningful to news consumers.
• Receives assignments and evaluates leads and tips to develop story ideas.
• Reviews copy and corrects errors in content, grammar and punctuation, following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines.
• Reviews and evaluates notes taken about event aspects to isolate pertinent facts and details.
• Determines a story's emphasis, length and format, and organizes material accordingly.
• Researches and analyzes background information related to news stories to be able to provide complete and accurate information.
• Gathers information about events through research, interviews, experience or attendance at political, news, sports, artistic, social or other functions.
• Pitches stories to news managers and news producers which are relevant to the local community.
• Arranges interviews with people who can provide information about stories.
• Discusses issues with producers and/or news managers to establish priorities or positions.
Requirements & Skills:
• Bachelor's degree in Meteorology, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
• Fluency in English.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written with the ability to ad lib when required.
• Minimum five years' experience in weather reporting or anchoring. (More or less depending on market size.)
• Superior on-air presence.
• Experience guiding, directing and motivating others.
• Ability to identify the developmental needs of others and to coach, mentor or otherwise help others to improve their knowledge or skills.
• Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment.
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Ability to effectively listen to fully understand problems and communicate with a team to shape a solution.
• Strong understanding of the field of meteorology and a proven track record of forecasting.
• Valid driver's license with a good driving record.
• Flexibility to work any shift.
Nexstar Media Group is America’s largest local television and media company with 196 full power stations (including partner stations) in 114 markets addressing nearly 63% of US television households and a growing digital media operation.