Director, Business & Legal Affairs
Culver City, CA US
SVP, Business Affairs (Sony Pictures TV Studios)
Sony Pictures Entertainment is a leading creator and distributor of entertainment products, services and technology. Our global operations encompass motion picture production and distribution, television production, programming and syndication, home video acquisitions and distribution, operation of studio facilities, development of new entertainment technologies and distribution of filmed entertainment in over 70 countries.
Sony Pictures Television (SPT) is looking for a Senior Vice President of Business Affairs to join the team in our Culver City headquarters. The position will focus primarily drafting and negotiating deals to produce, distribute and acquire product for SPT. This business affairs executive will work closely with senior business, creative and finance executives to structure, negotiate, document and administer production, co-production, finance and license agreements for television productions.
• Negotiate agreements for all facets of scripted and unscripted television development and production including above-the-line agreements, overall term and first look agreements, option and literary purchase agreements, production services agreements, assignments, contingent compensation definitions, license agreements, co-production agreements, co-finance agreements and acquisition agreements.
• Must have a extensive knowledge of license and co-production terms for all platforms.
• Responsible for negotiating and drafting agreements with writers, producers, performers, directors, licensing entities/platforms & co-production entities and other television-related personnel and service providers
• Responsible for implementing and administering the business policies and procedures for SPT.
• Works with Creative, Production, Finance and Legal Affairs departments to provide information, business advice and consultation services on a regular basis.
• Involved in analyzing business and legal issues related to productions, as well as reviewing budgets and other financial documents
• Researches and prepares necessary background information for negotiation preparation.
• Juris Doctorate (JD) from an accredited institution preferred
• Minimum 15 years' experience in Television Business Affairs
• Must have excellent negotiating skills.
• Knowledge of interactive software market/entertainment industry required.
• Must be computer literate and proficient in Microsoft Word.
• Excellent communication skills (both written and oral) as well as proven ability to work with creative and corporate personnel.
* Sony Pictures - CA - Culver City Area & Studios