Crime & Justice Reporter
Washington, DC US
Creative Services Editor/Producer (Temporary)
The primary job responsibility of the Creative Services Editor/Producer includes but is not limited to the following editing and producing responsibilities:
• Editing today's top news stories: 3-minute packages from reporters covering the White House, Capitol Hill, National Security, Crime and Justice, Breaking News and other stories.
• Program post production, stylized program elements (show opens, elements and teases) and complex and creative promotional content.
• The Creative Services Editor/Producer incorporates a visually compelling approach to editing and producing content while incorporating and adhering to defined editorial & journalistic standards.
• The Creative Services Editor/Producer's responsibilities include collaboration on scripting, story development, producing and fact-checking, meeting metadata requirements as well as producing & creating visual elements (video and motion graphics) and distinctive storytelling.
• The Creative Services Editor/Producer fulfills these responsibilities by utilizing demonstrable technical, editorial and creative expertise in the craft of editing, producing, design and compositing skills, and visual effects.
• The aforementioned responsibilities will be completed under traditional news production deadlines in order to present this content in a timely manner for each topical presentation.
Responsibilities will also include required administration and documentation support.
• Training and Skill Enhancement: continuous skill enhancement on existing production platforms and creativity as well as training for proficient use of developing technology platforms is a job requirement to meet the primary job responsibility.
• This will be accomplished through on-line training resources, company sponsored training through Turner's PDC and BEST University departments as well as utilizing external vendors when specialized training is required.
• This is an ongoing job responsibility throughout the calendar year and throughout the Creative Services Editor/Producer's career with CNN s Image + Sound Creative Services department.
• Must demonstrate leadership and participate in stretch assignments.
• Collaborative Partnership: in addition, there is an expectation of partner and peer collaboration for previously mentioned production projects and production responsibilities, attending show meetings, story generation, scripting enhancements, video research, and involvement with department workgroups focusing on improved & developing workflows.
• Non-Craft Edit: during breaking news events and as well as on occasion during regular production cycles there will be a nominal amount of non-craft editing of SOT/VO elements to enhance the breaking news as well as normal programming.
• In addition, there will be a responsibility to enhance edited elements by those using proxy-based editing tools and inserting elements into completed items again to enhance the finished product before air.
Minimum Experience includes:
• Equivalent of 2 year's experience in a professional news environment, proven editorial judgment, 2 years of demonstrated technical and creative expertise in editing and producing disciplines.
• Long Form documentary style editing includes finishing shows, including color correction and audio sweetening, experience with show open and promotional work.
• Design and compositing skills is included in order to craft a highly and visually stylized product.
Desirable experience (not mandatory) includes:
• CNN Image + Sound experience and or previous collaborative efforts, experience with existing CNN Creative Services tools, including but not limited to Adobe Creative Suite with emphasis on Premiere and After Effects, Visual Effects Plug-Ins; Sapphire, Boris, or others.
Educational requirements include:
• Bachelor's Degree (typically in Liberal Arts such as Journalism, English, Political Science, History or similar course work) or demonstrable and relevant professional work experience.
The following on-the-job behaviors will be demonstrated by the successful candidate:
• A demonstrable interest and proficiency in the end-to-end video production workflow, including technical skill development/enhancements, traditional editorial based functions from story pitching, field production, scripting as well as managing and adapting to the continually developing technologies driving the industry and includes leadership, technical and editorial mentoring/coaching/training.
• Collaboration: peer-to-peer, with partners and department management.
• Innovation: consistent skill enhancement through normally accessible tools and aforementioned collaborations.
• Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
• 2018 Best Company for Working Mothers
• 2018 Best Company for Dads
• An in-house learning and development team to help shape and grow your career
• Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands