Senior Software Engineer, Graphics
Chicago, IL US
NetherRealm, a division of WB Games Inc., seeks a Principal Software Engineer – Graphics to drive the next generation console graphics vision for the Mortal Kombat™ and Injustice™ franchises.
As a Principal Graphics Engineer you will work closely with the Lead Engineer and the rest of your peers to develop state-of-the-art graphics technology for the PS5, and XBOX Series X. Your domain will span the entire rendering pipeline and your responsibilities will include optimization, design, and implementation of pivotal new graphics technology.
In addition, as part of our highly collaborative engineering group, you will have ample opportunity to share your experience and expertise on the development of engineering systems across the entire codebase. Opportunities for involvement in the creative process will also present themselves regularly. This job will require close collaboration with Engineering and Artistic leadership during implementation of new features.
The Principal Graphics Engineer will also work with the Lead Engineer to help develop realistic schedules and identify all dependencies.
• Design, author, maintain and document robust and highly optimized systems that meet all design, technical and schedule requirements.
• Collaborate with technical leadership and other engineers to help establish overall technical design and architecture.
• Work closely with Technical, Character, and Environment artists to define artistic goals and plans to achieve them.
• Collaborate with Lead Engineer and Game Engineers to identify systems in need of optimization/replacement and on proposals for new graphics technologies.
• Review the work of other engineers and mentor them to improve their knowledge and skills.
• B.S. degree in CS/EE/Math/Physics.
• 10+ years professional C/C++ programming.
• Experience working with current graphics algorithms and hardware.
• Designed, implemented, and optimized major rendering systems for a published game (preferred).
• Experience with memory management, multi-threading and low-level optimizations.
• Experience writing shaders (preferred).
• Experience with image filtering techniques (preferred).
• Experience developing for either Xbox1 or PS4 (preferably both).
• Worked on AAA game (or similar complexity) from concept to ship (preferred).
• Experience pragmatically architecting large, robust systems.
• Deep understanding of modern rendering topics and GPU architectures.
• Significant experience collaborating with content creators and engineers to accomplish difficult tasks.
• Experience with D3D12 and SM6.x (preferred).
• Expert level knowledge of 3D math (preferred).
• Experience mentoring other engineers.
• Ability to easily communicate technical topics with engineers and non-technical people.
• Ability to openly discuss and review technical proposals, requirements, designs, algorithms, source code, and reference documents with engineers, content creators and managers.
• A deep understanding of the game development process and workflows of various disciplines.
• Microsoft Visual Studio development environment.
• Creative, focused, results-oriented, self-motivated, resourceful problem-solver with excellent debugging skills.
• Ability to work well in a team development environment with strong communication skills.
• Strong desire to build industry-leading technology and ship the highest quality AAA games.