Staff Systems Software Engineer, Developer Technology
San Mateo, CA US
Technical Product Manager
San Mateo, CA
The Peripherals Product Development team is dedicated to developing new products to support the PlayStation ecosystem and enhance the consumer's gaming and entertainment experience. This Technical Product Manager position will be instrumental to the ideation, planning and development of a variety of new products. These products will vary in scope and subject matter, ranging from small software applications through to high-volume consumer electronics products.
The ideal candidate has a strong technical background and has experience developing consumer electronic products (hardware), software applications, and/or digital media entertainment. The candidate must be detail oriented with the passion to champion the definition, development, delivery and lifecycle monitoring of high-quality consumer products on time and on budget while working with multiple teams internationally. Excellent verbal and written communication skills and understanding of different cultures are also required. Most of all, the candidate is passionate about delivering great products that will enhance our users' PlayStation experience.
• Identify customer needs and translate them into product or solution requirements.
• Understand, research and follow relevant technical industry trends
• Serve as a product evangelist and subject matter expert
• Contribute to new product ideation and product roadmap development
• Develop comprehensive product use case stories, documentation and related presentations
• Develop business plans and justification reasoning for developing new products
• Identify the needs and goals for new products ranging from functional to aesthetic details
• Define success criteria for testing and product acceptance.
• Effectively communicate product design objectives, development status and expectations to various stakeholders
• Evaluate prototypes and working models of product concepts
• Perform and participate in market research and user research studies
• Ability to work well with cross-functional and cross-company teams internationally to define, launch, and drive strategic business and product initiatives
• Provide internal and customer training on how to use the products.
• Provide input for running changes needed for product compliance and market sustainability.
• Degree from a four-year college (i.e. BA, BS) in fields relating to engineering, product development, product design, or production.
• At least 3-5 years of directly relevant experience in new product design and development or operations management in consumer electronics, digital entertainment or video game and accessory industry.
• Project Management Professional (PMP)® credential strongly desired
• Self-motivated with great interest in creating new products and solutions
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills required. Must be able to communicate with a wide variety of audiences ranging in skill set (highly technical to non-technical) and experience (individual contributors to executive management), cross-organizationally and with external partners.
• A passion for video games, video game peripherals, popular audio, media products and streaming services strongly desired
• Experience with projects that are synchronized to product hardware and software development lifecycles.
• Must be able to create and present informative, well-organized and engaging presentations as well project plans, reports, and other project documents.
• Excellent problem solving and analysis skills combined with impeccable business judgment.
• Must be resourceful and seek solutions through information gathering, stakeholder discussions, and/or judgment.
• Understanding of and open-mindedness toward cultural differences in multi-cultural working environments.
• Experience in the video game industry is not required, but interest and solid understanding in gaming, digital entertainment, consumer electronics, and technology is necessary.
• Maintains awareness of new and emerging technologies and the potential application for console gaming and digital entertainment
• Possess high standard on business ethics in working with external vendors.