Character Technical Artist
San Francisco, CA US
Position at ILMxLAB
This posting is an opportunity to submit your resume for future consideration; this is not a role that is open at this time. We anticipate this role may be open in the future, but we are not actively hiring for the position. If you would like to be considered for this potential role, please submit your resume. If the role becomes available, you may receive an email or call from a recruiter.
We’re on a mission: building the future. We’re working in this crazy-fun, hybridized fusion of entertainment where exceptionally high-end (previously pre-rendered) VFX meets interactive, immersive stories. That spectacular mash-up results in unparalleled real-time worlds where we endeavor to raise the bar for experiences and visuals as high as we possibly can. As if making compelling movies and games wasn’t hard enough in isolation! Don’t get us wrong, we’re not complaining about the challenges. That’s literally why we come to work: It is our great fortune to be standing at the crossroads - unconstrained by a specific title or universe - in a collaborative, highly creative and highly technical work environment. If that sounds interesting, jump in. We still believe in picking up hitchhikers.
Our team is growing. We are looking for talented, driven creative technologists to help design and build the next generation of immersive stories. Have a look at the description below.
If it sounds like you, send us your stuff!
• Collaborate with dev team to advance the state of real-time rendered immersive experiences, striving for highest possible visual fidelity while ensuring optimal performance.
• Standardize and improve development processes for production of assets, materials, shaders, LODs, asset streaming, collisions, and interactions.
• Partner with engineering team to understand, define and manage project technical requirements and project asset production.
• Assist artists and designers via tool development, and in concept testing of new ideas, and building of rapid prototypes
• Look/dev passes of fog, lighting, post-processes and other VFX for scene / level. Actively participate in optimizations, identify, triage, and fix bugs as required.
Required Skills / Experience
• 5+ years experience as a technical artist - or equivalent capacity - in 3D game development Strong art skills with experience and deep understanding of modeling, texturing, animation, & lighting for games.
• Maya: in-depth knowledge, experience with the API (Python or C++), strong scripting skills in Python/PyMel.
• Unreal: extensive experience working with UE scripting and workflows: physically-based rendering, materials & real-time lighting
• Shaders: in-depth knowledge of real-time shader implementations, limitations of shaders in VR, strong understanding of PBR pipelines, and subsurface shaders
• Materials: experienced in the development, authoring & organization of efficient materials via the UE4 material editor
Desired Skills / Experience
• Passion for playing and making games, experience or interest in VR and AR VFX production / pipeline experience
• Proficient with profiling tools in the examination & diagnosis of performance issues
• Experience with one or more of the following: Substance Designer / Painter, Zbrush or Mudbox, Houdini, Mari, Unity
• Familiarity with C# and C++
• Interest and capacity to work with proprietary toolsets
**A portfolio / reel submission - including a detailed breakdown of your work in each section - is required with all applications**
The application for this position is hosted at the Employer's site. Click on the button below to open the application page in a new tab in your browser.Apply at Employer's Site