R&D Engineer - Artist-Facing Tools
San Francisco, CA
Position at ILMxLAB
*Remote Work Option Available*
We are looking for an experienced problem solver who is passionate about bringing the latest technical trends in real-time development to their craft, and who reflects the innovative spirit and immersive storytelling that defines ILMxLAB.
The Technical Artist provides support by building and delivering key technologies/workflows that enable artists and designers to quickly implement visual content into our games. The ideal candidate will have a strong eye for art quality and knowledge of real-time requirements and constraints.
They will act as a bridge between art and engineering, demonstrating excellent communication skills to facilitate problem solving between departments while adding new ideas, new techniques, creating pipeline tools, and working with the latest technologies to create world-class immersive, interactive experiences.
What You’ll Do
• Standardize and improve development processes for production of assets, materials, shaders, LODs, asset streaming, and interactions
• Create or maintain tools and processes that facilitate content authoring with an emphasis on user experience, quality and productivity
• Collaborate with other artists to push content to its maximum quality while optimizing performance
• Contribute to look development of the highest-caliber real-time art by creating shaders, lighting and particle effects, and partnering with other artists on asset lookdev.
• Assisting in troubleshooting bugs and gameplay problems as they arise and pertain to art
• Implement, design, debug complex material networks
• Bring a wealth of experience and knowledge of cross discipline game development tools, pipelines, and technique to help create and propel next-generation technology projects
• Identify content optimizations and implement them
What We’re Looking For
• At least 3 years of experience as a Technical Artist - or equivalent - in 3D game development
• Shipped at least one AAA title from start to finish
• Artistic eye with advanced understanding of the creation & integration of 3D art
• Excellent communication skills, especially with regards to illustrating technical processes.
• Experienced in tools and pipelines software engineering, ideally for both technical and creative
• Excellent technical knowledge and familiarity with AAA game engines particularly UE4
• Excellent working knowledge of all the DCC standard software (Maya, Houdini, Max, ZBrush, Photoshop, Substance Painter/Designer)
• Proficiency in Python, PySide/PyQt, and Maya API/Mel
• Strategic and analytical thinker with exceptional execution and problem-solving capabilities
• Ability to work independently and efficiently under tight deadlines. Works well with direction, but also is self-motivated and will seek out or devise solutions to unexpected challenges.
• Bonus points for:
• Passion for playing and making games, experience or interest in VR and AR
• Computer Science Degree or equivalent experience programming in C++
• Extensive portfolio with examples of professional work (e.g. art, scripts, tools, simulations, etc.)
**A portfolio / reel submission - including a detailed breakdown of your work in each section - is required with all applications**
Lucasfilm is among the world’s leading entertainment service companies, a pioneer in visual effects and sound across multiple mediums, and is home to the legendary Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises.