WTAE-TV, the Hearst Television station and ABC affiliate in Pittsburgh is looking for a Reporter who has the ability to generate story ideas, write to video, and do compelling live shots. We are looking for a strong, take-charge reporter who hits the ground running every day. The successful candidate loves breaking news and is highly competitive. We value strong enterprise reporting and we're looking for someone who finds the stories that leads newscasts. The Reporter is someone who can bring the energy of live reporting to our anchor desk. In addition to credibility, poise, and personality; we're looking for a reporter who heads out into the field every day eager to break the big stories. We are looking for this market's next leader who isn't afraid to ask the tough questions and will hold those in power accountable. We are looking for a versatile, enterprising self-starter who is fast, efficient, works well under tight deadlines, can develop sources, and has excellent live reporting skills.
• Contribute hard news enterprise story ideas every day.
• Gather and deliver vo's, vo/sots, packages and ENG/SNG/TVU live shots for daily newscasts, WTAE.com and other digital platforms.
• Able to juggle multiple stories and projects at once, demonstrates exceptional time-management skills by meeting all deadlines.
• Participate in station-sponsored events both at the station and out in the community.
• Use ENPS to write scripts.
• Provide coverage of major stories for other Hearst and ABC Affiliates.
• Regularly plan, gather and assemble stories on day-of news or special project assignments.
• Work with a photographer to gather and edit compelling video and captivating sound.
• Coordinate with news managers and producers to develop stories that go beyond surface details, that accentuate unique enterprise angles, and have exclusive content.
• Develop a network of sources who provide tips, early access to information, and allow the reporter to break stories of significance.
• Contribute pictures, video and text updates to mobile platforms consistently throughout the day.
• Juggle multiple stories and projects at once, demonstrate exceptional time-management skills by meeting all deadlines under extraordinary pressure.
• Unwavering journalistic integrity and ethical standards.
• Past reporting experience (2-5 years) required
• Demonstrated ability to enterprise and uncover
• Your demo reel should be indicative of your everyday work
• Related military experience will be considered
• Strong writing and storytelling skills
• Can work in all weather conditions and long hours at times (overtime).
• Have a valid driver's license, can drive large vehicles over long distances, and a clear driving record.
• Ability to work varied shifts, including overnights and weekends.
• Can deal with the stresses and pressures of time-sensitive newscast production
• Bachelor's degree preferred or equivalent proven work experience.
• Equivalent military training from Defense Information School (DINFOS) and associated experience will be considered.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gm5b56-18-232-179-5-42 in your application.