WSAZ covers a wide, diverse area comprised of three states. Many small towns sit along the Ohio River and smaller rivers and streams that run through rolling hills. Our viewers and customers are extremely friendly and down-to-earth. Although we're not a major metropolitan region, the WSAZ market enjoys relatively close proximity to many large eastern cities, and is easily accessible by interstate, rail, river and air.
We enjoy all four seasons, and the activities that come with each. Nature is always a short distance away, with many surrounding state parks and lakes for recreation. Within the larger towns and cities, there is a vibrant night life with many outstanding restaurants and local festivals throughout the year.
Since 1949, WSAZ has been the overwhelming number one choice for Breaking News, Severe Weather coverage and information in western West Virginia, eastern Kentucky, and southern Ohio. Generations of residents have grown up counting on WSAZ to be a window to their world on-air and now digitally. Our people, on-air and behind the scenes, are trusted friends and neighbors in the community. There is a culture within our walls that recognizes the responsibility we carry, to continue what was started more than sixty years ago. We take pride in our ratings, our content, our status, and the need to maintain the work ethic that got us to where we are.
There has always been a family atmosphere at WSAZ. We care about each other, and know that we are stronger as one team than as many individuals. We take our jobs seriously, and know that we can be successful and have fun at the same time.
WSAZ-TV, the Gray Television owned, NBC-affiliate in Huntington, West Virginia, is seeking an Engineer. Position requires a full knowledge of station operations and technical layout, with a strong emphasis on news. Must possess good interpersonal communications skills, both oral and written, and be fully computer literate. Comprehensive knowledge of RF signals, transmission mechanics, mechanical engineering, and studio technical equipment operation. Technical skill enabling diagnosis to the module level required with the ability to diagnose to the electrical component level a plus. Requires competent knowledge of broadcast signal flow with the ability to quickly identify key points of failure and bypass faults with minimal system down time.
Your responsibilities will include (but not be limited to) the following:
• Manage all engineering aspects of the technical facility including studio support, post editing systems, field production support and transmission of live/taped events and programs
• Have expert knowledge regarding equipment, technology, and systems and be able to step in an assist in emergency situations
• Performs regular maintenance tasks including repairs, equipment replacement, supplies, etc.
• Documents and executes necessary corrective actions
• Ensures all transmission equipment is operating correctly before and during live event telecasts - corrects and documents technical problems and report them to the managers
• Ensures compliance with applicable regulations and communication with other departments by maintaining discrepancy logs and equipment incident reports and regularly auditing these documents to identify areas where performance or process needs to improve
• Assist Chief Engineer in overseeing and implementing Engineering projects
• Must be able to insert and remove control room rack equipment weighing 25-50 pounds with the help of another employee
• Maintains building needs
• Have working knowledge of the latest operating systems software, including server and desktop operating systems
• Familiar with networking routing and IP addressing
• Manage the maintenance and repair of all company facilities associated with our station. This includes HVAC, generators, security systems, satellite dishes, electrical, hardware, etc.
• Manage the maintenance and repair of the towers, antennas, and transmission lines/connections.
• Must be available to work during breaking news situations, severe weather, new system integrations and updates, and provide on call services 24/7
• Display and maintain professional appearance, based on station standards and professional demeanor
• Must have a clean driving record and live drug free.
• Must have a background / previous working experience in engineering
A strong candidate will possess the following -
• 2-3 years of professional or broadcast experience. Strong leadership skills and ability to operate in high pressure situations
• Commanding knowledge of professional video photography equipment and techniques
• Ability to learn and adapt quickly to all work situations
• Professional, communicative, highly self-motivated, detail oriented, and focused individual traits
• A Bachelor's Degree in engineering or related is preferred, but is not required
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g6zyen-18-204-2-146-42 in your application.