Sr Manager, Talent Development
West Hollywood, CA
Wondery (An Amazon company) is looking for a senior story editor to work closely with the senior producers and executive producers of the Commissioned Originals department and podcast content team. We are looking for someone experienced in audio storytelling, with a curiosity about the world, and the ability to tell stories in an entertaining, dramatically compelling and emotionally engaging way. Being a strong writer, editor and understanding story is a key part of the success of our series. In this role, you will provide detailed edits, structural notes, and editorial direction on our miniseries and long-form narrative format series.
The Story Editor is dedicated to coaching producers, partners and talent in making great podcasts. The Story Editor is an exceptional listener and communicator, with a broad, passionate knowledge of our craft, and skilled at helping creators find their unique voices. The Story Editor is a member of a team of Commissioned Originals producers, senior producers, and executive producers that works across documentary, serialized narratives and ''always on'' entertainment programming. Story Editors can assist at every stage of show and story development – from brainstorms to final script edits to final audio reviews.
This roles can be based in either Los Angeles, CA and New York, NY regions.
Key job responsibilities
• Work directly on high-potential, serialized documentaries, fiction and narrative project
• Runs story and outline meetings with external producers to develop their creative ideas, and refine and discuss series and episode arcs
• Provide detailed notes and guidance for writers as they break down serialized narrative stories and develop detailed outlines
• Provide talent and producers with the appropriate mix of teaching, coaching, motivation and empowerment, as suits their own readiness and abilities
• Treat every project as a listener experience first, and keep teams centered on what audiences will love about their work
• Solicit new ideas; work closely with talent and creators to develop their ideas and find appropriate collaborators when necessary
• Keep abreast of larger industry trends, and interpret and analyze internal performance data to make informed content recommendations for future series and/or episodic arts that tap into the cultural zeitgeist and news cycle
• Continually learn from innovations in the field, and help teams employ the best of those ideas
• Support journalistic standards at the highest level on all documentary and news programming
• Work with producers, talent, and creators to meet all delivery and launch deadlines, and provide actionable feedback on how to implement creative suggestions at a production level
About the team
Wondery, an Amazon company, is a premium podcast studio known for character-driven, binge-worthy stories including Dr. Death, The Shrink Next Door, Even the Rich and Business Wars, and distribution of hit partner shows SmartLess, My Favorite Murder, and How I Built This. Wondery is behind seven of the ''Top 10 New Shows of 2021'', according to Podtrac, including #1 (The Apology Line) and #2 (Suspect). Forty shows from Wondery have hit #1 on Apple Podcasts including Harsh Reality and Operator. Many Wondery shows have been adapted for scripted television or streaming series, including Dr. Death on Peacock, The Shrink Next Door on Apple TV+, the upcoming WeCrashed on Apple TV+ and Joe vs Carole on Peacock. Wondery has gained critical acclaim and commercial success for its immersive approach to sonic, emotionally driven storytelling, which helps listeners to ''Feel the Story.'' The Wondery app offers a unique, personalized podcast listening experience with over 15,000 episodes, including access to its premium ad-free offering Wondery+. With Wondery+, fans experience early access, exclusive episodes, and ad-free listening.
• Experience as a producer/production manager/line producer or experience in production risk management
• 6+ years experience with budgeting, scheduling and cost reports
• We are looking for someone experienced in audio storytelling, with a curiosity about the world, and the ability to tell stories in an entertaining, dramatically compelling and emotionally engaging way
• Proficient writer, editor and understanding story is a key part of the success of our series
• Experience working in narrative, miniseries storytelling, and documentary podcasts, ideally on multiple episode series
• Passionate about original audio storytelling and open to experimentation and genre-bending
• Detail-oriented and highly organized self-starter
• Clear understanding of traditional network structure, and the external notes & feedback process
• Deep understanding of long form narrative, three-act structure
• Experience editing and writing long form narration and writing for the ear
Pursuant to the Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gkpzb0-3-229-124-74-42 in your application.