Sr Producer, Current Series, Wondery
Wondery is looking for a writer, editor and manager to help produce its slate of always-on and seasonal shows, such as Even the Rich, Scamfluencers, True Love and American Scandal. We are looking for a collaborative, trustworthy leader who is passionate about character-driven audio storytelling and understands how to convey complex information in an entertaining, dramatic, accurate, and emotionally engaging way. You will play a critical role in providing creative guidance across our ongoing shows, implementing best practices and solving production-related challenges, and helping build our team for long-term growth.
This is a great role for someone who is equal parts left brain and right brain. You should be engaged and curious about the world, organized, and have deep experience with story structure, storytelling and editing. The ideal candidate will be skilled at managing and motivating a team and as excited to tackle workflow and production issues as creative challenges. Experience with audio/podcast production is a plus, but deep experience in other types of media will be considered.
This job is open to Los Angeles and New York City candidates.
Key job responsibilities
• Work with internal producers as well as external writers, editors, producers and sound designers to deliver a slate of 1-4 shows
• Edit and provide detailed feedback on outlines, scripts, and sonically immersive mixes (cutting tape is not required); direct recording sessions with hosts
• Help ensure a diverse pipeline of talent that reflects the stories we want to tell
• Manage and mentor 1-3 direct reports as we grow and scale
• Serve as a leader across the department and larger organization
A day in the life
You will oversee multiple shows at once, shepherding new episodes from development through final mix alongside a team of external staff and internal producers. Working closely with the Head of Current Series, you will work across the content department and Wondery/Amazon Music to pilot new strategies, tools, and technologies to position our shows for success.
About the team
The Current Series team is a collaborative team that produces diverse, well-told stories in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
Wondery, an Amazon company, is a premium podcast studio known for character-driven, binge-worthy stories including Dr. Death, The Shrink Next Door, Even the Rich and Business Wars, and distribution of hit partner shows SmartLess, My Favorite Murder, and How I Built This. Wondery is behind seven of the ''Top 10 New Shows of 2021'', according to Podtrac, including #1 (The Apology Line) and #2 (Suspect). Forty shows from Wondery have hit #1 on Apple Podcasts including Harsh Reality and Operator. Many Wondery shows have been adapted for scripted television or streaming series, including Dr. Death on Peacock, The Shrink Next Door on Apple TV+, the upcoming WeCrashed on Apple TV+ and Joe vs Carole on Peacock. Wondery has gained critical acclaim and commercial success for its immersive approach to sonic, emotionally driven storytelling, which helps listeners to ''Feel the Story.'' The Wondery app offers a unique, personalized podcast listening experience with over 15,000 episodes, including access to its premium ad-free offering Wondery+. With Wondery+, fans experience early access, exclusive episodes, and ad-free listening.
• 5+ years of experience managing a team of production executives
• 6+ years experience as a producer/production manager or line producer
• 6+ years experience with budgeting, scheduling and cost reports
• Bachelor's or Master's degree in screenwriting, playwriting, journalism, or related field
• 5 to 7+ years writing/producing longform audio, longform magazine, or longform television/film formats
• Understanding of three-act structure and character POV
• A creative approach to storytelling with sound
• Project/time management skills and proven ability to produce creative work under deadline
• Experience working collaboratively with creative and editorial talent
• Enthusiasm for podcasting and Wondery's approach to storytelling
• Preference for candidates with management experience
• Experience with both fact-based and creative narrative storytelling
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r1bqex-44-192-114-32-42 in your application.