Wondery, a part of Amazon Music, is a premium podcast studio known for character-driven, binge-worthy series including The Apology Line, Even the Rich, American Scandal and Business Wars. Wondery's shows have gained critical acclaim and commercial success from an immersive approach to audio storytelling. Seven of the Top 10 new shows of 2021 in the US were from Wondery, according to Podtrac, and 41 of Wondery's shows have hit #1 on Apple Podcasts since 2017. Wondery+ is Wondery's new premium subscription podcast service, offering customers the opportunity to listen to our rich library of content ad-free, early access to new podcast series and episodes, and an expanding library of exclusive content. Wondery is also responsible for the production and marketing of Amazon Original podcasts, such as the Ambie award winning 9/12 and Uncommon Ground with Van Jones.
To help fuel our next stage of growth, we are seeking a Principal Content Planning and Strategy Manager to analyze, define and inform the overall content programming strategy for Wondery and Amazon Music Podcasts. This role will be a key driver of success of our award-winning programming, defining the content investment, content strategy, target audiences, and distribution strategy in this emerging, high-growth segment. You will report to the Chief Content Officer, and work closely with the rest of the content team, Content Partnerships, Analytics & Research, Marketing, Business Development, International, and Finance to ensure we are balancing our strategic goals and achieving impactful outcomes for our content. You will answer the following types of questions: Is our programming strategy leading to new listeners and subscribers and maximizing lifetime value? How should we allocate our investment across categories, genres, and content types? Are we investing enough in various content types?
This position is right for you if you're entrepreneurial, experienced in analyzing and valuing premium entertainment content -particularly for subscription businesses - and are excited to not only build a new business, but also to explore new categories of podcast listening and monetization. The role will operate globally by establishing frameworks that can be adopted and adjusted for local needs regionally and in different territories.
You must be an avid podcast listener!
Additional locations include: [Los Angeles, California] [New York, New York], [Atlanta, Georgia]
Key job responsibilities
• Refine the programming strategy for Wondery and Amazon Music's original podcast content, (inclusive of Wondery+-specific original content investments, partnership investments, ad-free catalog licensing), ensuring we maximize the impact of our investments on Wondery's listener growth goals.
• Develop business cases for investing into new categories, genres, or content types to grow Wondery's listener base.
• Develop and optimize the windowing and release strategy for Wondery+ and Amazon Music, working closely with Originals, Content Partnerships, Finance, and Marketing to establish and measure performance impact of key goals.
• Evaluate distribution options for incoming content.
• Create mechanisms and analyses to regularly evaluate and track performance of individual titles, feeding back insights to the relevant stakeholders to refine the distribution strategies.
• Work closely with Analytics & Research, as well as Finance, develop and optimize the analytical frameworks to evaluate the impact of our content investments and windowing strategies, and accurately forecast the impact of future investments.
• Track and evaluate customer acquisition, retention and lifetime value by show, genre, category, content type
• 7+ years experience in analytical/quantitative disciplines
• Understanding of subscription entertainment business models, dynamics, and drivers
• Bachelor's degree in Finance, Economics, Mathematics, Statistics, or other relevant fields that demonstrates quantitative orientation
• MBA or equivalent
• 3+ in programming strategy for a podcast network, streaming video service, broadcast or cable TV network, or other premium entertainment service
• 3+ years in a top management consulting firm, investment bank, private equity, hedge fund, and/or media/entertainment/tech company in a strategy/business development/ analytical role
• Experience in working in a highly-demanding environment using complex modeling and analysis
• Highly analytical and effective communicators with experience presenting complex analyses.
• Experience in financial modeling skills and conducting quantitative and qualitative analysis
• Proficiency with Excel and SQL
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r1bmyx-44-192-94-86-42 in your application.