- Full Time
- Entry (0-2 years) Experience
Job DescriptionAssistant Chief Engineer - WCAX
WCAX is the original and leading station in the Burlington-Plattsburgh market. We paved the way for TV in this whole area of the country. We are a station of innovators. If you are the person who will help us inform, educate, entertain and delight an audience of more than 750,000 people, then you need to send your resume to us right now.
Take this opportunity to build your career in a place people come from all over the world to enjoy. Ski at some of the best-known resorts in America in the winter and hike, boat and play outdoors in the summer. The Burlington, Vermont, area is one of the most beautiful places in North America. Maybe you'll find yourself at the top of the Green Mountains in Vermont or Adirondacks in New York. Then again, the foodie culture of downtown Burlington may whet your appetite for delicious traditional favorites or haute cuisine. Perhaps you'll be the one who finally captures a clear image of ''Champ,'' the mythical prehistoric monster (like that other one in Loch Ness, Scotland) said to live in beautiful Lake Champlain.
WCAX TV CBS / WYCI TV MyNetwork TV serving the beautiful Burlington, VT-Plattsburgh, NY, market is seeking an Assistant Chief Engineer in a full-time position. This position requires a full knowledge of station operations and its technical layout, with a strong emphasis on engineering as it relates to modern broadcast TV businesses now and into the future. Candidates must possess good interpersonal communications skills, both oral and written, and be fully computer literate. Comprehensive knowledge of RF signals, transmission mechanics, mechanical engineering, and studio technical equipment operation is a necessity. Duties include troubleshooting, maintaining, and installing broadcast and IT equipment including transmitter equipment located at our remote sites throughout the service area.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Addressing engineering aspects of the technical facility including studio support, post editing systems, field production support and transmission of live/taped events & programs.
• Have expert knowledge regarding equipment, technology, and systems including RF, microwave and transmission systems.
• Perform regular maintenance tasks including equipment replacement, ordering tools & supplies, etc.
• Assist the Chief Engineer in overseeing and implementing Engineering projects.
• Work closely with the station's General Manager and corporate leadership to implement new technologies and technical infrastructure for the business as a whole.
• Ensure all transmission equipment is operating correctly before and during live event telecasts.
• Correct and document technical problems and report them to Chief Engineer or applicable station management.
• Assist in maintaining station vehicles, including live microwave/satellite vehicles.
• Help to ensure that buildings & grounds maintenance is being done as needed.
• Availability to work during breaking news situations, severe weather, new system integrations and updates, and provide on-call services outside of regularly scheduled shifts when needed.
• Work with 3rd party technical support teams, vendors and other outside businesses as needed.
• Help to maintain complete and accurate plant documentation
• Assist with the training of other members of the Engineering Department and the station in general.
• Display and maintain appropriate dress for the workplace and duties assigned.
• Must have a clean driving record and valid driver's license.
• Must have a background / previous working experience in TV Broadcast Engineering.
• Requires competent knowledge of broadcast signal flow with the ability to quickly identify key points of failure and bypass faults with minimal system down time.
• Experience working with high power Radio Frequency systems, including Microwave, SATCOM, Earth Stations, VHF/UHF Transmitters.
• Have working knowledge of the latest operating systems software, including server and desktop operating systems
• This position is NOT considered to be work-from-home but rather will require being on-site, either at the station or one of its remote sites to perform most daily duties. The ability to remote-in from another location would be beneficial at times.
• Ability to adapt to flexible work hours including possibly some holiday work hours from time to time based on the technical needs of the station.
• Familiarity with networking, routing and IP addressing.
• Able to work alone or in a small teams at times.
• Ability to travel in inclement weather conditions, including rain and snow, with ability to travel via vehicle, snowmobile/ATV or ski lift/snowshoe to remote locations including our primary transmission site on the summit of Mt. Mansfield.
Interested applicants may go to https://gray.tv/careers#currentopening, you may type in the job title, station call letters, or click on ''apply now'', upload your resume, cover letter and references. Please be sure to include a link to your professional reel.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d82386-35-172-223-251-42 in your application.
Find More Jobs Like This
Gray Television supports local community interests by providing quality television broadcasting and exceptional service in each market we serve. Gray owns and/or operates television stations and leading digital properties in 93 television markets including the first or second highest rated television station in 85 markets. We are an unmatched broadcast pioneer that keeps getting bigger and better.