WBKO Television is the dominant source for local news and entertainment in the Bowling Green area and operates the ABC, FOX and CW affiliates.
Nestled in the heart of south central Kentucky between Louisville and Nashville, WBKO is home to Emmy and AP award winning mentors with a combined experience of over 75 years. We offer employees flexibility to learn other jobs with the latest industry equipment and software; live news experience; and encouragement to volunteer in the community. Over the last 15 years, we have helped raise more than nine million dollars for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. We also enjoy being a part of the community by engaging in activities including ringing the bell for the Salvation Army at Christmas, helping to promote United Way's Day of Caring, and jumping into icy cold water for Junior Achievement's Penguin Plunge.
WBKO is a part of Gray Media which owns and/or operates stations in 93 television markets.
Our employees have moved on to Nashville, Louisville, Discovery Channel, Turner Broadcasting, ESPN, and many other markets around the country.
Bowling Green is the fastest growing city in Kentucky and is ''geared for fun'' as the home of the Corvette, the Bowling Green Hot Rods baseball team, and countless caves and hiking trails ready to be explored! Mammoth Cave National Park, the world's longest known cave system, is also right down I-65. The arts scene is active in Bowling Green with the Southern Kentucky Performing Arts Center (SKyPAC) which brings in nationally-known artists and productions. WBKO works closely with Western Kentucky University by airing a weekly ''View From the Hill'' segment and covering its programs and Division I sports teams.
WBKO is proud to serve our community and nurture our employees to grow professionally, be more community-oriented, and have fun in a family environment.
WBKO-TV, an ABC, FOX, CW affiliate, has an immediate opening for a journalist who can produce a newscast as well as report when needed. Applicants should be as comfortable in the field as in the studio.
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
• Produce live newscasts as well a produce and post content to web and mobile platforms.
• Report or work beat as needed.
• Work to gather and edit compelling video and sound.
• Develop a network of sources.
• Contribute pictures, video and text updates to mobile platforms consistently throughout the
• Work a variable schedule due to changing shifts, turnover, station projects, etc.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Candidate must possess strong verbal and written communication skills including excellent
news writing and visual story-telling ability.
• Should be able to coordinate news crews and content to deliver the best live show possible
under daily deadline pressure.
• Creativity a must.
• Previous experience preferred.
• College degree in journalist or equivalent combination of education and experience preferred.
*** Drug screen required. ***
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gq5n9z-3-238-132-225-42 in your application.