Director, Business & Legal Affairs
Warner Music Group
New York, NY
VP, Business & Legal Affairs - Warner Music Group
A little bit about our team: The Warner Music Group Corporate Legal team works closely with the other Corporate functions such as Finance, HR, Corporate Communications, Business Development, Global Technology, GDO and also with the Business and Legal Affairs teams within Warner Recorded Music and Warner Chappell Music. It includes specialized legal functions such as litigation, M&A, employment/benefits, securities, trademarks, data privacy, records management, digital legal affairs and compliance.
Why this could be your next big break: This role will negotiate and draft recorded music deals for Warner Recorded Music which are not attached to a particular record label. The position reports to the EVP & General Counsel, Warner Music Group.
Here you'll get to:
• Structure, negotiate, draft and review a wide variety of complex recorded music deals including recording agreements, label deals, profit-split deals, soundtrack agreements, exclusive producer agreements, distribution agreements and various types of licenses
• Liaise with all other departments within Warner Music Group to answer questions and ensure compliance with contractual and legal obligations
• Review artwork, audiovisual materials and marketing materials to determine potential legal issues and assess the possible risks associated with their distribution; supervise clearance process
• Provide advice to Audit and Finance departments on contractual interpretation and audit strategy; negotiate and draft final settlements
• Review royalty statements to ensure accuracy
• Manage claims as necessary
Rockstar candidates will have:
• J.D. and authorization to practice law in New York
• Minimum of five years of legal experience, including significant intellectual property experience and at least three years of transactional work in the recorded music industry
• Demonstrated drafting and negotiation skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to effectively interact with a range of personalities and negotiating styles and establish effective relationships externally and internally at all organizational levels
• Strongly self-motivated with demonstrated ability to work independently as well as part of a close-knit team
• Sound and practical business judgment
• Ability to multi-task and balance competing priorities
• Ability to work well in large, fast-paced department
It would be music to our ears if you also had:
• Experience working in-house at a record label.
With a legacy extending back over 200 years, Warner Music Group (WMG) today brings together artists, songwriters and entrepreneurs that are moving entertainment culture across the globe. Operating in more than 70 countries through a network of affiliates and licensees, WMG’s Recorded Music division includes renowned labels such as Asylum, Atlantic, Big Beat, Canvasback, Elektra, Erato, First Night, Fueled by Ramen, Nonesuch, Parlophone, Reprise, Rhino, Roadrunner, Sire, Spinnin’, Warner Records, Warner Classics and Warner Music Nashville.