A little bit about our team: The Business & Legal Affairs department provides global business and legal support to Alternative Distribution Alliance (ADA), which offers distribution, sales and frontline label services to a wide variety of third party record labels and artists; Asylum Records (a relaunch of the iconic frontline record label founded in 1971 by David Geffen); and Level Music (a new, proprietary music distribution platform).
Why this could be your next big break: This is a truly unique and highly coveted position to perform business and legal affairs efforts for several lines of businesses within the ADA umbrella which sits within Warner Music Group, a home to a collection of the best-known labels in the music industry, as well as one of the world's leading music publishers. You will have the opportunity to help craft our strategy and play a key role in fast-paced artist and distribution deals, as well as acquisitions, JVs, equity investments, new technologies and strategic partnerships.
Here you'll get to:
• Negotiate and draft agreements for the various divisions, including, but not limited to, recording agreements (royalty and profit split deals), distribution agreements, license agreements, video production agreements, intellectual property acquisition agreements, joint venture agreements, merchandise agreements, soundtrack agreements, non-disclosure agreements, and termination and settlement agreements;
• Negotiate and draft ancillary agreements for new business initiatives associated with the ADA business;
• Assist with refining template agreements across all business units;
• Assist with providing guidance and strategic advice to senior management toward developing and executing strategies and business plans;
• Interpret, advise and answer questions on complicated contractual provisions;
• Provide ongoing legal advice both within the ADA umbrella and across other Warner departments;
• Work closely with contract administrators and paralegals to ensure that agreements are accurately summarized and communicated to the operations' teams, accountings and payments are timely executed, and clearances are obtained prior to record releases;
• Review label copy, videos, artwork and other materials to analyze and assess potential risks to minimize legal exposure; and
• Participate in the development, implementation, and compliance with the various divisions' contract-related policies and procedures.
Rockstar candidates will be able to:
• Refined and well-practiced drafting skills, with a strong attention to detail, and experience creating legal templates;
• Robust negotiation skills (in particular, the ability to manage negotiations with outside counsel, in-house counsel, label heads, and tech startups);
• The ability to work independently with minimal oversight, and to think outside the box;
• Strong interpersonal skills to successfully interface with senior management on day-to-day business regarding legal issues and strategies;
• The proficiency necessary to handle a fast paced environment while still paying close attention to detail and issue spotting;
• The ability to remember and recall details of multiple projects on request; and
• Strong business decision making skills, and legal acumen.
It would be music to our ears if you also had:
• J.D. with at least 3+ years of transactional legal experience in an entertainment company or related law practice. At least 2+ years of law firm experience is strongly preferred.
• Extensive drafting experience.
• Candidates must be in good standing in New York or California.
Love this job and want to apply?
Click the ''Apply'' link or apply directly with your LinkedIn. Applying with LinkedIn will import all of the information you put in your profile, but will still allow you to upload a resume and cover letter.
Don't be discouraged if you don't hear from us right away. We're taking our time to review all resumes, and to find the best people for WMG.
Thanks for your interest in working for Warner Music Group. We love it here, and think you will too.
WMG is committed to inclusion and diversity in all aspects of our business. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and will evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, marital status, medical condition as defined by state law (genetic characteristics or cancer), physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.