We are an energetic, fast-moving and collaborative content team, part of an amazing organization with several strategic partnerships in the global sports landscape.
What part will you play?
This entrepreneurial-minded digital journalist will be an innovative and creative leader on the NCAA Digital content team. The ideal candidate will possess true 21st Century digital content skills and experience that will help drive the success of our digital properties covering college sports - in particular, all 90 NCAA championships.
The job requires versatility and strengths in many areas. The Senior Interactive Producer will write, edit, produce and deliver a wide variety of sports content and is also responsible for reading, editing and posting contributed content from press releases, staff writers and freelancers. The Senior Interactive Producer will be counted on to ensure accurate but highly coveted data content, such as updating NCAA Championship brackets or polls. Attention to detail and accuracy are crucial.
You'll need to know how to best lure readers with effective headlines and teases for all delivery - whether mobile, desktop, newsletters, partners or off-site platforms. This means strong producing and programming, but also understanding what content works best where and why. Extensive experience with audience analytics tools - such as Chartbeat, Omniture, Google Analytics or Parse.ly - to track performance is a necessity. You'll also need a strong understanding of search engine optimization and how to leverage content to attract new audiences - and entice them to return. An ideal candidate will have experience using social networking sites for content delivery and development.
We're looking for a savvy producer who understands the digital audience and Turner's business priorities as well as its relationship with partners at the NCAA. You'll be asked to write clean, reader-friendly content for a variety of subjects across owned/operated as well as external platforms. Ability to quickly analyze game action and deliver clear, concise and on-brand push alerts to the March Madness Live app required. Experience managing and delivering app content a strong plus.
Video-editing and producing skills are a plus. You'll be asked to edit content for creators like Andy Katz, Michella Chester and Autumn Johnson who provide video content for audiences on NCAA.com and our YouTube channels.
Experience working events is also a plus. This job may require on-site reporting and producing at a wide variety of sporting events, from the men's and women's NCAA basketball tournaments to the College Cup to NCAA swimming championships.
We're looking for someone ready to keep their feet moving and work independently. Enthusiasm, risk-taking and collaboration are highly valued.
The NCAA Digital team hosts four post-graduate interns each academic year. If you have a desire to be a mentor to young journalists, you'll find a great opportunity here.
What will you be doing?
• Run point by leading the team's digital producers and content creators to deliver platform-specific content based on a planned content strategy while being flexible to react to news as it happens. This person will be a key leader for weekend coverage during live game windows, especially.
• Plan website display 10+ days out, taking into account the sports calendar, audience trends and league/business priorities.
• Work with editors to develop the layout and site look for key tentpole events
• Build existing NCAA.com newsletters; lead efforts to develop specialty newsletters for events like March Madness
• Select, prioritize, edit and post content (text, statistics, standings, video, photo, etc.)
• Publish content on owned/operated and external platforms in cooperation with guidelines and styles set by staff and league partners
• Monitor news, events and social networking for outside source content
• Edit content for style, grammar, accuracy, clarity
• Demonstrate news judgment in editing and story selection consistent with league partner editorial policies and standards
• Work directly with video producers to incorporate video content and coordinate the inclusion of live video streaming coverage
• Work directly with internal team and partners to ensure all championship and microsite content is up to date and accurate
• Report and troubleshoot operational bugs (feeds, polls, leaderboard, site) as they arise
• Write/edit push alerts delivered to millions of college basketball fans
• Program content for March Madness Live, the official app for the NCAA Division I men's basketball tournament
• Travel as required to provide event coverage
What we need from you
• Flexibility to work nights, weekends and holidays as needed - because it's sports, this job will have regular nights and weekends as part of the schedule
• 3+ years digital editorial experience preferably in the sports industry
• Experience tracking and developing strategy around audience analysis using tools like Omniture, Chartbeat, Google Analytics or Parse.ly a must; Use of these tools in combination with campaign codes to closely monitor internal traffic patterns and external referrals a plus
• Working knowledge of web publishing technologies, including HTML and Photoshop
• Experience with content-budgeting or project management tools like Airtable, Trello, Basecamp or proprietary budgeting system
• Comfortability with remote communication tools like Slack
• Strong editorial skills (must be able to demonstrate an ability to write, edit and show news judgment)
• Extensive experience working with proprietary or off-the-shelf content management systems
• Proficient in basic computer skills such as MS Word and Excel
• Ability to work in a team environment with flexible work schedule, including nights, weekends, some holidays
• Able to handle last-minute or quick-turnaround deadlines for development or in a live publishing environment
• Superior written and verbal communication skills
• Strong organizational and prioritization skills
• Bachelor's degree
• Degree in journalism or related field preferred
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r0mwn1-3-238-232-88-42 in your application.