CNN is the world's most essential and engaging source of video and digital news, and we're embarking on a crucial mission to grow the next generation news and information consumer product. You'll be joining an empowered cross-functional team building the trusted new digital products, platforms, and formats that put CNN's talent, expertise, and content programming - and the directions it goes next - directly in the hands of consumers. The Internet is changing the news and information landscape, and we have an ambitious product roadmap grounded in journalism and facts. Our team has a unique ability to marry content, design, product, and technology to spark connection, fulfill utility, and build community.
As a Data Analytics Engineer you will be the glue between data engineers and data consumers. Working on the Data Platform team, you will be creating performant and predictable data models to enable our product analytics, data science, and machine learning teams to quickly generate business value from our data lake. This role will be working with cross functional teams ensuring that the data is optimized and consistent for multiple projects.
We have a large data lake that contains data that is both historical and near real-time that comes from a variety of 1st and 3rd party sources. You will be helping define and manage the data contracts between stakeholders and ensure proper standards and definitions are followed along the way.
Day to Day Responsibilities
• Work with stakeholders to understand how data is used, in both reporting and machine learning, to create; clean, tested, and well documented data models that provide views into our data lake.
• Implement and automate the data models in DBT and Airflow in a way that promotes data reuse and discovery
• Apply software engineering best practices like version control, continuous integration, and testing to the analytics code base
• Generate and maintain data documentation and standards
• Work in close collaboration with Product Analyst(s) to provide technical support for visualization teams on products that integrate with Snowflake such as MixPanel, Amplitude, Tableau, and Looker
• Own specific verticals like product, marketing or content analytics by being the subject matter expert anticipating data needs and business requirements Contribute to team excellence by promoting and advancing best practices around our work with analytics datasets
Specific Technical Skills
• Minimum 6 years experience as a software engineer with focus on data systems Expert working knowledge of Python programing language and SQL Experience modeling data in a warehouse such as Snowflake, Redshift, and or BigQuery
• Experience with Airflow or another type of DAG scheduler Experience with DBT(Data Build Tool) or similar data modeling tool
• Working knowledge of visualization tools such as Tableau or Looker (MixPanel or Amplitude would be a plus)
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g4jm31-3-238-132-225-42 in your application.