The Engineering Manager leads and manages a software development team. He/she is self-directed and is able to work with minimal supervision. The Engineering Manager provides guidance, mentoring, and career management to members of his/her team. He/she takes an active role in day to day management and general administrative and operations functions, including dispute resolution, performance reviews, promotions, staff recruitment and termination. As an engineering manager, he/she is expected to have extensive software development experience, understands end to end SDLC, familiar with industry best practices/tools and able to conduct code reviews/PRs as well as be a hands-on coder as necessary.
• Lead, manage, and scale one of our multidisciplinary, agile teams of 5-10 engineers and testers
• Drive project planning, sprint planning, and sprint execution
• Oversee the technical strategy, direction, effectiveness, and morale of your team(s)
• Invest in people! Helping engineers advance their skills and careers through one-on-ones, growth and development plans, and performance feedback
• Communicate with peers, senior leadership, and direct reports on progress against short and long-term goals
• Work with engineering leads, QA, and product management to reinforce strategies around process improvement
• Ensure software development follows industry best practices, policies and guidelines. Specifically, ensuring that technical solutions are in line with established CNN Digital strategy, standards in respect to architecture, security, corporate governance, coding standards, monitoring, logging, unit test, and service enablement
• 8+ years of software engineering experience, with 3+ years engineering management experience with a demonstrated track record of tactical execution and strong team building
• Experience delivering products in an agile environment with a geographically distributed team
• Previous experience as a hands-on technical contributor. Bonus points for high-growth consumer product development experience.
• Willingness to lead initiatives and a catalyst for change throughout the whole organization
• Exceptional verbal, written communication, and organizational skills, along with interpersonal skills that allow for collaboration across a diverse group of people
• B.S. or higher in Computer Science or a related field (or equivalent experience)
• Demonstrated advanced understanding of troubleshooting, root-cause analysis, application design, solution development, human factors/usability design, and implementation of projects for major business units or the enterprise
• Strong foundation in programming fundamentals such as data structures and algorithms
• Ability to develop new and innovative applications as well as maintaining existing code
• Demonstrated expert knowledge of software development methodologies, practice, and architecture, specifically experience architecting performant, scalable, secure, and cost optimized cloud solutions on AWS
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r1ppvv-3-80-3-192-42 in your application.