Every great story has a new beginning. We're excited to announce that Discovery and WarnerMedia have combined to become Warner Bros. Discovery. WBD is a premier global media and entertainment company offering audiences the world's most differentiated and complete portfolio of content, brands and franchises across television, film, sports, news, streaming and gaming. We're home to the world's best storytellers, creating world-class products for consumers. From brilliant creatives to technology trailblazers and beyond, join us as we step into the next chapter.
We are looking for an experienced consumer products review writer to focus on the creation of best-of coverage for CNN's reviews and recommendations site, CNN Underscored.
Tasked with finding, testing, writing, and editing articles about the best products to help our readers find the things they need, the Editor, Reviews will research consumer products and services across a wide range of categories, quickly build expertise, and lead the thorough testing of products to produce informative, concise best-of reviews. Broad product knowledge, hands-on product review experience and reportorial chops are important. The Editor should be a generalist rather than specific to any single product category, though knowledge and experience in tech and electronics is a big plus.
This role works as part of the Product Testing editorial team to research and develop coverage of product categories, assemble lists of the most relevant products to test, communicate with manufacturers and press relations agencies to obtain products, research and reach out to product area experts to report out coverage on difficult-to-test products and to build background for reviews, build and execute creative, thorough, realistic test plans, and work with in-house and freelance writers to create best-of reviews for CNN Underscored and CNN.com readers.
The right candidate will be able to quickly adapt to the CNN Underscored voice and audience but is also encouraged to test creative new angles on consumer product and service coverage and help us continue to expand our product testing processes.
• Keep abreast of the consumer product landscape, working with editors and analytics staff to build content that addresses reader interest based on an understanding of search and key consumer trends.
• Thoroughly and creatively research, curate, test, write, edit and produce best-of review content, including video and photography as needed.
• Work alongside the editorial team to identify new coverage opportunities to help further differentiate CNN Underscored's coverage across product verticals
• Revisit, update and optimize existing content to keep abreast with new product releases, changes in key consumer trends, and analytical insights.
Level of Responsibilities/Accountability & Scope
• 3-4 years experience writing reviews for a major consumer publication
• Deep knowledge of the latest consumer products and news.
• Experience with and knowledge of the tech and electronics space a huge plus
• Excels at short, medium, and long-term assignments that often require the application of independent judgment
• Work is subject to supervisory review at regular intervals
• Operates within the context of defined procedures
Education, Experience, and Requirements
• Must have significant experience in hands-on reviewing of consumer products, ideally in the context of head-to-head comparative reviewing and best-of recommendations; knowledge of the tech and electronics space a plus.
• Should have significant experience in reporting; able to identify and contact sources, research unfamiliar categories, and identify and gather the most relevant information as required to build impactful stories.
• Should have an interest in ecommerce and an understanding of SEO principles and techniques.
• Previous experience with photography and videography, and the use of photo and video editing tools is a plus
• Must have the ability to break down potentially complex topics into an easily digestible format
• Flawless grammar & spelling
• Must be proficient in Google Docs, and comfortable using content management systems
• Strong creative and writing skills are required for this position. Must be detail-oriented, organized and have strong communication skills.
• Position reports to Senior Section Editor, Product Testing
Warner Bros. Discovery embraces the opportunity to build a workforce that reflects the diversity of our society and the world around us. Being an equal opportunity employer means that we take seriously our responsibility to consider qualified candidates on the basis of merit, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
If you're a qualified candidate with a disability and you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for this position, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r1z30v-3-238-199-4-42 in your application.