WarnerMedia seeks a Director – Accounting Policy and Transaction Support for the Corporate Finance department.
This position will be responsible for researching and drafting recommendations for, and integral to the discussion and analysis of, some of the company's most technical accounting issues, including acquisitions and divestitures, purchase accounting and related valuation, revenue and expense recognition, foreign currency, hedging activities, barter transactions, multi-element transactions, and equity and cost method investments. In addition, this individual will function as a leader in the review of new business deals, provide feedback on analyses, including due diligence reports and valuation of identifiable intangibles, and flag potential accounting issues.
This individual will also assist with accounting issues related to the WM-Discovery transaction including
• Preparation and audit of carve out audit of WM financial statements
• Valuation of Warner Media
• Purchase accounting for Warner Media
• Alignment of accounting policies across WM and Discovery
The ideal candidate will possess an in-depth knowledge of GAAP and have the ability to drill into the details of an accounting issue while understanding the ''big picture'' and be able to communicate recommendations regarding the accounting treatment and impact on the Company's financial results.
• This purpose of this position and the broader group is to advise management on appropriate accounting treatment for material/complex transactions. These areas often require significant judgment. The efforts of this position and broader group help ensure the company's financial statements accurately reflect the results of the business in accordance with GAAP and WM/AT&T policies. The conclusions of this group must be based on sound technical positions and analysis that will withstand review and scrutiny by WM/AT&T management, external auditors and regulators.
• Monitor and provide timely communication/education for the implementation of newly issued accounting guidance and WarnerMedia/AT&T policies; and address/document accounting issues in a timely, comprehensive and accurate manner.
• Perform highly complex technical accounting research and analysis to provide senior management with timely information to make informed decisions in evaluating appropriate solutions while remaining mindful of current accounting developments, company policies/practices, and budget/forecast implications.
• Review highly sensitive and large new business deals; plan and design sound financial and business analyses to identify potential risks and opportunities; provide time-sensitive guidance on terms, deal structure, and other deal components; escalate any potential unusual accounting issues.
• Support the Finance, GBS, and CFR and LOB teams in evaluating appropriate solutions to accounting and reporting issues on an ongoing/ad hoc basis.
• Develop and maintain deep relationships with Finance and Operational senior management to understand the business impact of recommended accounting treatments; and, if applicable, offer alternative accounting treatments based on different deal structures.
• Develop and maintain companywide electronic accounting policies on a share point site to serve as a global reference for significant accounting matters and to ensure consistent application of similar accounting matters companywide.
• Periodically offer technical accounting education/training in formal CPE sessions to senior financial management and accounting/finance staff.
• 7-12 years recent public accounting experience
• 7-12 years experience with a mix of heavy public accounting and a technical accounting role in industry or consulting
• Mastery of GAAP requirements
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills necessary to discuss/articulate the accounting issues; document the accounting issues; and, recommended accounting treatment and conclusions.
• Individual must have competent presentation skills (experience preparing materials and presenting).
• Bachelor's degree in Accounting required
• CPA required, current CPE status
• Attained the Senior Manager promotion in public accounting
• Masters in Accounting desirable
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rn8x5o-34-239-160-86-42 in your application.