Animation is one of the fastest growing and most creative content categories today in the entertainment industry, with an innovative and talent-rich roster boasting some of the most accomplished writers, producers and artists. Home to beloved originals such as ADVENTURE TIME, CRAIG OF THE CREEK and WE BARE BEARS, Cartoon Network Studios is known for its rich creation of award-winning animation and industry leadership in the development and production of kids, family and young adults entertainment.
Cartoon Network Studios is seeking a visionary and highly technical senior leader to head the Production Technology department. This Director role will oversee all technical aspects of production for the studio, including IT, pre-production, post-production and overseas production, and lead the department to develop and maintain end-to-end production workflows across all Cartoon Network Studios productions as well as overall studio technology strategy, infrastructure, budget, and innovation.
• Provide leadership and oversight for IT and all aspects of animation production technologies: pre-production graphics, recording, digital storyboarding, post-production.
• Oversee studio databases and systems for tracking and cataloging pre-production and production materials and recording studio talent management.
• Oversee production standards and methodologies. Establish technical guidelines for new productions and contractors. Train staff in computer graphics-related production methods and systems.
• Establish and implement file formats and resolutions for pre-production (e.g. storyboard templates, color key models, black and white line art) and post-production (e.g. with overseas production studios, live action producers, outside animation houses) to ensure consistent standards and seamless integration.
• Implement, administer and maintain digital distribution systems e.g. DAX, Faspex.
• Oversee and manage the studio IT department; train and mentor team members to support technical aspects of animation production and fulfill technology needs across all studio departments.
• Oversee IT budget and purchasing, including IT infrastructure, contracts, hosting, post-production facilities, computers & software for all productions and departments, and other technology projects.
• Lead IT infrastructure and transformation projects in collaboration with WarnerMedia Technology teams and Warner Bros. Animation, including data storage solutions, system upgrades, etc.
• Design and execute hybrid-friendly IT workflows for productions and executives based on bespoke needs.
• Develop annual studio infrastructure and technology strategy, lead the effort to define, build and roll out new systems / pipelines / software as needed.
• Provide thought leadership, insights, and recommendations on the latest production technologies; position the studio to lead the future of animation production and innovative storytelling techniques.
• Provide regular communications to studio management on department updates; establish close relationships with key stakeholders to drive studio priorities in collaboration.
• Represent the studio technology department externally and in liaison with overseas production studios, live action producers, outside animation houses, artists, composers, etc.
• 10+ years of combined experience in production technology and IT management
• 3+ years of experience in a technical leadership / people management role
• Advanced knowledge of OSX & Windows including software management and deployment
• Deep understanding and experience with networking concepts, VPN technologies, hardware RAID, software RAID, CIFS/SMB
• Understanding of post-production technologies, including non-linear editorial systems, color/online, dialog audio, and VFX
• Understanding of cloud technologies in the production & post-production environment, as it pertains to dailies, remote workflows, and content security
• Strong written and oral communication skills, as well as ability to effectively influence stakeholders and lead cross-functional teams
• Superb organizational skills and excel at multi-tasking, prioritization, and delegation
• Self-starter who welcomes ambiguity and thrives in a fast-paced and fluid environment
• Resourceful, mature, collaborative, and demonstrated strong leadership
• BS in Engineering, Computer Science, or other related technology discipline
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gpxbyo-34-207-247-69-42 in your application.