Full Time Job
Counsel, Legal & Business Affairs
- Full Time
- Senior (5-10 years) Experience
Counsel, Legal & Business Affairs (New Zealand)
Purpose of Position:
As a member of the NZ Leadership Team, this position will provide legal advice and related support to Warner Bros. International Television Production New Zealand Limited (''WBITVP'') local production business in New Zealand.
Working in a dynamic and creative environment, you will be providing practical, constructive and timely legal advice and services to Warner Bros. production teams and senior management on a wide variety of matters, with a predominately commercial, contract and media law focus.
You will ensure Warner Bros legal & business risks and liability are minimised and that legal services are provided in a manner to both protect (including the capture and protection of IP rights) and build advantages for Warner Bros in its business.
You will ensure compliance by Warner Bros with all contractual, legal and statutory requirements and that contracting, and administration processes are streamlined, accurate and effectively managed at all times.
The position works in an individual contributor based in WBITVP's Auckland office and is part of a larger global team of lawyers within Warner Media and Warner Bros. International Television.
• Review, negotiation, advice and drafting of agreements for the development and production of programming, including development agreements; format option or license agreements; commissioning or programme license agreements; production and co-production agreements; talent and other contributor agreements; access agreements, location, studio and production services agreements; and rights releases, permissions or licenses; and non-disclosure agreements.
• To advise Co MD's and production executives on rights issues and clearance issues, and to assist with the preparation of production protocols and guidance notes for production teams on key areas, such as child performers, privacy, foreign filming locations, foreign work visa requirements, workplace health and safety and Covid Safe Plans, programme participants' welfare and WBITVP's Duty of Care Protocol.
• Management of disputes, claims and complaints from contributors, broadcasters, viewers or other parties. Including:
• Management of litigation, potential litigation and other contentious matters
• Legal reviews of programmes with potentially contentious material before broadcast and legal advice regarding storylines to directors and producers, and advising changes necessary to ensure compliance with Broadcasting Standards Authority (''BSA'') standards, privacy laws, and to avoid potential defamation claims
• Responding to BSA complaints in consultation with the Broadcaster
• Ensure that key information and obligations from third party broadcasters, funders, rights holders are communicated clearly and understood by the relevant production and administrative employees and contractors within the business. This includes, general education and guidance to staff on legal issues relevant to Warner Bros business or programme specific issues.
• Draft and negotiate agreements related to the exploitation of ancillary rights including digital and social media.
• To advise on copyright, trademark and privacy law matters.
• Ensuring all productions are run in compliance with the Warner Media production protocols, and all relevant policies
• Managing and protecting company's intellectual property, including trademarks, and liaising with trademark & IP advisors.
• Assisting the senior management (and where appropriate managing) in maintaining and developing internal procedures and processes and to ensure compliance with all legal, contractual and statutory requirements as well as Warner Media policies. Including:
• To advise and conduct due diligence on potential local partners and counterparties to ensure compliance with applicable anti-bribery and anti-corruption laws and trade and economic sanctions including the Criminal Code Act 1995 (Cth), US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, the UK Bribery Act, OFAC and EU sanctions.
• Maintaining the company's internal policies & procedures up to date and in line with Warner Media policies.
• Project work as required.
• In partnership with Human Resources, managing employment relations issues including advising on disciplinary issues, personal grievances/disputes, and terminations, and other general personnel matters.
• Briefing and managing external legal counsel and other external advisors as and when required
• Working with the wider Warner Media global legal team on general corporate matters to meet the business needs.
• In consultation with the Co-Managing Director and Warner Media Corporate Communications where required, write and manage external communications, including media enquiries and responses to complaints from the public.
• Keep abreast of law changes that could impact on Warner Bros. business.
• Champion ''Ways we Work'' and local NZ purpose in all aspects of team engagement to positively contribute to the team culture as a senior member of the business.
Job Requirements and Qualifications:
• Minimum 5 years + years post-qualification experience
• Experience in production or programme rights acquisitions essential
• Experience gained with a New Zealand production company, broadcaster or a major law firm preferred
• Strong background in copyright law and of the ownership of rights in content and underlying material is preferred
• As a member of the Leadership Team, ability to contribute to the overall company strategy.
• Qualified solicitor
• Proficient in Microsoft Office 365, specifically Word, Excel, SharePoint and Outlook
• Strong organisational skills with ability to manage multiple priorities and the ability to take initiative
• Must have ability to handle multiple tasks and meet conflicting deadlines in short timeframe
• Must have excellent attention to detail and ability to work well under pressure
• Must have excellent drafting skills
• Must have excellent communication skills and be able to explain complex issues simply, clearly and tactfully
• Strong decision making and problem-solving capabilities
• Must be agile and willing to learn in a fast-paced and growing business
• A strong team player who contributes to an environment that embraces constant change and innovation
• An infectious enthusiasm for the television sector
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rb739e-3-236-117-38-42 in your application.