This full professional position is responsible for the timely and professional support of a 24x7x365 news and/or entertainment production environment from a centralized call center, with remote access and visibility to company hardware/networks/software. Persons eligible for this position must be very familiar with the network and support infrastructure of our broadcast and computing environment, performing both remote and on-site problem analysis and resolution. Additional responsibilities include participation in assessing, improving, and documenting workflow processes. This position operates in a highly independent fashion, requiring candidates to operate with little supervision. Practical solutions must be found and implemented immediately in order to keep clients working.
• Monitor and support Telecom systems including moves, adds and changes using PBX management software, hands on wiring and connectivity of circuits
• Monitor and support A/V systems such Polycom to meet accepted standards using diagnostic tools such as SDI scopes, audio/data analyzers, and other equipment.
• Monitor and adjust File-based work flow,on-air and near air critical systems to meet accepted broadcast standards using diagnostic tools such as network analyzers.
Provide on-site user support for newsroom systems, edit clients for non-linear and digital and desktop PCs, including installation, problem correction, removal/replacement, or other tasks as necessary to ensure continuation of customer work productivity and/or on-air transmission
Must be able to perform installation, maintenance and repair of digital record and edit systems
• Record critical information in the internal tracking application in order to (a) clearly document the problem, action taken, and end solution for a historical record; (b) monitor and update the status of various customer problems at any given time; (c) provide a medium through which to share knowledge regarding the evaluation and correction of technical problems with other Production Support professionals; and (d) capture data to be used by management and Senior BIT Production Support Specialists regarding problem trends, resolution time, costs, or other metrics
• Respond to customer requests obtained via telephone, email, personal contact, or the internal Production Support application. Based on an understanding of hardware, software, newsroom systems, and peripheral technology, determine the nature of the technical problem. Implement an acceptable solution that meets the customer's needs in a timely manner. Accurately report and track requests for services through to completion including follow up communication with the customer
• Based on an analysis and evaluation of the technical problem, determine a suitable course of action that considers factors such as the criticality of the hardware/software/peripheral technology environment, the specific technology in question (e.g., operating system, type and brand of hardware, 3rd-party or custom software), connectivity, etc. Where necessary, solicit the expertise of other resources (e.g., teammates, other department SMEs, written documentation) to accurately and effectively determine and execute the best solution. Test proposed solutions as possible before implementing to ensure compatibility and stability within the Turner environment, and communicate with the customer in a timely manner to ensure understanding of problem status and resolution.
• Participate in the deployment projects of software and hardware components to our customers, document workflow processes and software/hardware specific install instructions, and other tasks as directed by management.
• Make Lead BIT Production Support Specialist and/or Production Support Manager aware of any escalation issues and/or exceptions in service levels.
Leadership and Professional Development 10-15%
• Disseminate technical and departmental knowledge to less experienced team members. Ask questions and share information to facilitate individual and team growth.
• Shadow BIT Support Engineers and/or assist when other support resources are limited (e.g., on-air/critical problems). Cross-train on broadcast/IT equipment and perform other duties as may be assigned by management.
• Demonstrated knowledge of standard networking protocols, computing operating systems, & LAN/WAN topology. In depth knowledge of Microsoft Office suite and standard business applications.
• Willingness to learn Turner/CNN proprietary equipment and applications.
• Demonstrated familiarity with broadcast systems and/or hardware (e.g., VizRT, VCS, Media Asset Mgmt, Non-linear editing)
• 2-4 years in the service and operation of broadcast equipment, computing hardware, and related peripherals
The Must Haves
• Associate's degree in electronics, computer science, or a related field (or equivalent education/experience/training). Professional certification (e.g., A+) preferred.
• Demonstrated knowledge of computer desktop hardware and applications.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rnx043-52-205-167-104-42 in your application.