Your New Role
Warner Bros. Discovery. seeks a Director, Employment Counsel for the Corporate Legal department. The incumbent will work closely with the internal legal team and the business to provide day-to-day advice and subject matter expertise across the full range of employee relations and other labor and employment issues across our US and Canadian footprints. The attorney will interpret the latest employment legislation and case law into practical, straight forward language to deliver workable solutions for the business.
Your Role Accountabilities
• Act as the subject matter expert on employment legal issues by providing ongoing day-to-day advice and guidance to People & Culture (P&C) partners, business leaders and management, on the full range of initiatives with legal implications, e.g. employee relations issues, internal complaints of harassment or discrimination, organizational restructuring (RIFs), policy/regulatory compliance, new legal requirements etc.
• Support People and Culture and Legal projects, programs and enterprise initiatives providing guidance from an employment legal perspective
• Ability to supervise, manage and evaluate outside counsel on employment related matters including responding to demand letters and EEOC charges and handling litigation.
• Advise People Relations (WBD Investigations Team) team on employee investigations
• Analyze, draft, review, and revise employee-related agreements, policies, and programs that govern employment and contingent worker/independent contractor relationships
Qualifications & Experience
• Minimum 7 years practice in labor/employment law field, including law firm experience.
• In-house employment experience strongly preferred, ideally in a comparable industry.
• Litigation experience required; trial experience preferred.
• Must have Juris Doctor from an accredited law school in the United States.
• Membership in the New York State Bar in good standing or willingness and qualification to be registered as in-house counsel in New York State
• A good sense of business judgement and ability to make difficult decisions while keeping key stakeholders informed
• Clear and concise communicator (both orally and written) with the ability to present and distil legally complex issues into legally compliant but practical and commercial solutions, in a way that is understood by key stakeholders.
• Ability to collaborate across departments/divisions bringing multiple stakeholders together to drive a common resolution
• Must be able to prepare, negotiate, and interpret agreements and other legal documents
• Must be able to research legal questions and provide written and oral advice
• Strong interpersonal skills in dealing with a wide range of clients, and ability to prioritize while handling multiple responsibilities
• Solid work ethic and an interest in building a team committed to quality and excellence
• Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
• Calm under pressure, clear thinking, well organized, proactive and grasps concepts quickly
• Emotionally intelligent outlook – must have the ability to diffuse and calm others
• Inclusive behavior – ensuring that all key stakeholders are consistently kept in the loop
• Should excel in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision
• Ability to manage own time judiciously and deal effectively with competing interests
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d5n39z-18-206-48-243-42 in your application.