Join us for an opportunity to be a part of the innovative technology and artistry of Walt Disney Animation Studios. At Walt Disney Animation Studios we have a deep commitment to the philosophy that creativity inspires technology, and technology inspires creativity.
The Apprentice Program begins June 2021. Please note, the safety and well-being of our teams is very important to us. We will be determining whether this program will be in-person at our Burbank, CA studio or virtual in the coming months based on local state and county ordinance. The deadline of applications is November 22, 2020, 11:59 PM PST.
The Technical Director Trainee
Technical Directors strategize solutions to a range of production and pipeline issues. You'll exercise your technical skills to write scripts, adapt tools, and modify workflows in support of artistic endeavors. You will work directly with artists and software developers to solve problems and implement new techniques.
As a Technical Director Trainee, the first three to four months of your program are structured to introduce you to the processes and tools of our filmmaking, our studio culture, and our production environment. These initial months will showcase the skills and philosophies of our Technical Director department while providing you nurturing mentorship with a Disney developer. A 3-4 month review provides you with real-time feedback and determines future assignments and promotional opportunities that would bring your skills into real-time production environments.
• Experience with commercial graphics packages including Maya, Houdini and Global Illumination Lighting packages
• Experience with scripting including Python and MEL
• Experience with the Linux or Unix operating system
• Solid understanding of the production processes and pipelines of CG Animation, VFX or Video Game productions
• Solid overview of element production and shot production phases including modeling, rigging, animation, layout, look development and lighting/rendering Strong problem solving skills required
• Ability to work in a collaborative environment, taking direction well
• Experience with C or C++ development or shader writing (RSL) a plus
• Understanding of stereoscopic concepts and production processes a plus
Am I Eligible To Apply? We're looking for:
• 18 years or older
• Emerging developers with less than 5 years experience in the Animation Industry
• Recent graduates - Degree in computer science, related field, or equivalent experience
Combining masterful artistry and storytelling with groundbreaking technology, Walt Disney Animation Studios is a filmmaker-driven animation studio responsible for creating some of the most beloved films ever made.