Senior Video Quality Assurance Engineer
We are looking for a new talented engineer to join our Platform Engineering team at Walt Disney Animation Studios. This team designs and builds our infrastructure platform, from core services to large-scale high-performance computing systems. In this role, you will partner with artists, production leadership, technical directors, other systems and software engineers, and technology leadership on the design and implementation of foundational infrastructure services motivated by the needs of content production at Walt Disney Animation Studios.
By creating a dynamic infrastructure, Platform Engineering provides the foundation that bridges the hardware/software boundary. You will help provide technical engineering leadership to our team and cross-functional teams to provide highly available and scalable core infrastructure services that are hosted within our on-premise data center and/or cloud providers. This includes in-depth system analysis, design, troubleshooting, and integration of new products and developing tools and strategies to improve existing systems
You will enjoy the diversity and challenges of working at various levels in the software stack, from core compute and data management to developing APIs and intuitive user interfaces. All projects have in common the pursuit of simple and performant solutions to complex problems, using agile development methodologies as part of high-energy, proficient teams.
You will engage with team members and stakeholders on a variety of projects depending on studio needs. Example assignments could include high-performance parallel computation, distributed job scheduling algorithms with associated artist workflows, highly efficient data management and storage orchestration, data mining and machine learning, and intuitive data visualization design.
Our engineers are highly supportive of each other and our stakeholders. You will be expected to demonstrate self-direction when needed, and also be comfortable supporting your team by bringing fresh insight for shared problem-solving. Critical to the success in this role is the ability to build trusted relationships with technical and non-technical users to understand their needs and pain points intimately and deliver relevant solutions.
• Partner closely with stakeholders and technical teams to deploy, manage, and optimize systems and services on our on-premise infrastructure and cloud environments.
• Prioritize mission-critical tasks and coordinate the construction and expansion of our systems so updates and other maintenance tasks don't get in the way of daily operations.
• Inspire and motivate others through technical excellence and best-in-class engineering practices.
• Actively participate in team discussions and challenge the status quo when appropriate.
• Guide peers on technical problems from design to implementation.
• Demonstrate technical influence through innovation.
• Publish and maintain detailed documentation in regards to our processes and workflows.
• Standardize and automate processes and services using script-based solutions.
• Conduct high-level root-cause analysis for the service interruption and establish preventive measures.
• In-depth knowledge of designing and building infrastructure platforms - from core services to large-scale high-performance compute systems.
• Hands-on, proven expertise with developing technical solutions involving multiple applications to solve business and production needs.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, particularly in working within teams and among stakeholders.
• Senior-level expertise in Linux, MacOS, and/or Windows systems administration in a professional environment.
• Strong experience managing cloud-based solutions using VMware, AWS, GCP, and/or Kubernetes.
• Routinely test software for issues, bugs, and security issues.
• Proficient in software development methodologies and processes - including agile methods, continuous integration and version control.
• Expert-level expertise with LDAP, DNS, SSO, MDM, SMTP, system performance-monitoring tools, virtualization, HTTP traffic, email routing and administration, interacting with REST APIs for application integration and automation, and familiarity with authentication standards.
• Deep experience with Python and scripting with languages such as bash, Perl, etc.
• Expertise with Git or other version control systems.
• Proficient in utilizing visualization tools like Grafana, Kibana, and/or ElasticSearch.
• Expertise in web server, load balancer, postfix administration
• Experience with Web development (HTTP, REST, XML, JSON).
• Expert-level expertise with managing and troubleshooting TCP/IP networks and related technologies.
• Excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
Combining masterful artistry and storytelling with groundbreaking technology, Walt Disney Animation Studios is a filmmaker-driven animation studio responsible for creating some of the most beloved films ever made.