Walt Disney Animation Studios' world-class filmmakers, artists, and technical wizards collaborate to create the magic of animation. Bring your unique talents, passion, and ideas to our team and prepare to play in a creative environment.
The Sr. Systems Engineer will lead efforts on the Data Center team to design, implement and administer complex systems in the Studio's data center & related areas. This includes physical and virtual server environments, enterprise storage & compute systems, large scale backup & archive systems and other enterprise systems that provide foundational services and infrastructure for the Studio.
The Sr. Systems Engineer will collaborate with other engineers and support staff to address challenges, plan/lead projects throughout the year, and identify long-term technical goals.
• Data Backups, Archive, Disaster Recovery
• Manage the studio's data backup processes. This includes the design of new systems & processes based on the Studio's needs and improving existing systems.
• Author and maintain a thorough disaster recovery program that includes regular tests
• Work with studio leadership to create and/or
• improve a data archival process.
• Lead efforts to investigate cloud migration of relevant data
• Data Storage
• Design and maintain storage systems to support various applications
• Partner with other tech teams and production eadership to design and implement large scale production storage systems
• Servers & VMs
• Work with the team to design and maintain necessary server infrastructure for the studio's various applications. Investigate best in class server hardware.
• Help to maintain annual installation, replacement and support budget and schedule
• Lead efforts/partner with other tech teams to design and implement VM environments.
• Maintain a support and upgrade budget and schedule for all systems.
• Data Center
• Lead efforts to plan and execute installation projects, including large replacements/expansions of equipment.
• Work with the team to schedule and perform necessary maintenance, upgrades and troubleshooting of all systems. Allow for a flexible work schedule to accommodate disruptive maintenance events.
• Help to create & maintain runbooks of all relevant processes and protocols
• Help to build and manage monitoring systems for relevant technologies, including storage systems, server health & status and physical infrastructure
• Help to create an annual budget for technology purchases relating to the Data Center. This includes equipment recapitalization, integration of new, or expansion of existing technologies, maintenance, etc. Work with hardware vendors to evaluate new technologies.
• At least 5 years experience in enterprise data center engineering & administration
• Expert knowledge of common scale-out/high-performance storage systems, such as Isilon, Qumulo, NetApp or Vast.
• Expert knowledge of design and administration of virtual computing environments, such as VMware, RHEV, Kubernetes, Docker, etc.
• Expert knowledge of design and administration of common backup/archival technologies, products and principles such as NetBackup and Bareos, Quantum, LTO.
• Expert knowledge of fiber channels.
• Strong knowledge of Linux, deep experience with common Linux environment administration (Red Hat, etc).
• Previous experience with co-location environments
• Experience with film production, CG Animation, Visual Effects, or Video Game production environments.
• Familiarity with Mac / Windows administration.
• Strong understanding of computer room design, installation, configuration, troubleshooting, monitoring, and security procedures.
• Familiarity of the physical data center environment, including HVAC, electrical and other systems
• Strong understanding of major cloud platforms including AWS, GCP and Azure.
• Familiarity with network technology and communication principles.
Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related Information Technology/Computer Systems field,
or equivalent work experience
WDAS continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity, from the first fully-animated feature film, 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to 2019's Frozen 2, the biggest animated film of all time, to our 60th animated feature, Encanto, releasing November 2021. Among the studio's timeless creations are Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Frozen, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rb1kyo-54-174-225-82-42 in your application.