Walt Disney Animation Studios has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Animation Supervisor to join the team at our Vancouver, BC studio. The Animation Supervisor will work with the team of animation artists, provide leadership and guidance, help them meet the high artistic standards of Disney Animation, and ensure that the direction of the creative team is carried out on schedule and on budget.
This is a regular, full time, staff position. Hybrid and Remote opportunities for our Vancouver Studio are specific to remote work within the province of British Columbia.
• Work with the Head of Animation to realize their vision to define and implement the animation style and practices for the show
• Partner with Production Management and Heads of Animation to make sure artists are on track to complete shots on time and to top quality
• Work directly with the Head of Animation, Head of Characters, Layout Supervisor, and Director of Cinematography – Lighting
• Work closely with the character assets teams to help create high functioning art directed characters
• May engage in and support the creation of crowd animation cycles and requirements in partnership with the Crowds supervisor/lead/artists
• Supervise animation on characters and sequences of the film while guiding and inspiring animators to create their best work
• Responsible for consumability and efficiency of artist deliverables into downstream departments
• Participates in department processes, bidding and reviews
• Assesses resource needs and collaborates with department leadership in helping find staffing solutions
• Creates an inclusive and safe work environment by carefully managing sensitive information, making rooms feel open and comfortable, creating space for everyone to have a voice and addressing bias when it occurs
• Guides the creative and technical vision/expectations for the team members
• In tight conjunction with Head(s) of Animation, Production Management and AM, inspires and motivates the team
• Contributes to the overall craft and development of team members through setting expectations, delivering consistent constructive feedback, recognition, and accountability
• Models and fosters a collaborative work environment between individuals on the team and across departments
• Identifies solutions and compromises in partnership with other supervisors.
• Provides regular updates to direct leader on the progress, health and direction of the team
• Keeps the team informed with context for show related changes and updates
• Studio Culture-Actively fosters an inclusive, innovative, and collaborative environment so every employee can contribute at the highest levels
• Technology, Tools and Workflow-Engages in the creation and execution of technical standards, pipeline conventions and workflows to support the department, show and studio
• Department Stewardship-Partners closely with peers and Artist Manager support an environment of creativity, trust, and innovation. Actively involved in assessment, casting, hiring, and overall growth of artists
• Minimum 2 years of leadership experience that demonstrates a strong ability to lead and mentor others
• Ability to quickly learn and adapt to WDAS standards, pipeline, tools and workflows as they relate to the discipline you would be leading
• Engagement and positive impact in the department, e.g. mentoring, training, leading initiatives, etc.
• Demonstrated proactivity in identifying and working with others to solve problems
• Experience anatomy, perspective, and composition
• Experience in solving problems of weight, balance, movement, space, construction and proportion
• Demonstrated proficiency with the principles of animation, including timing and the dynamics of animals and human figures in action
• Demonstrated acting and staging skills; the ability to caricature features, actions, emotions required
• Ability to present work and communicate clearly with artistic and studio leadership
• Ability to work in a collaborative environment, taking as well as giving direction with poise
• Strong understanding of the principles of cinematography and animation
• Strong knowledge and technical understanding of digital pipeline issues
• Strong knowledge of each of the following technical areas:
• Animation principles
• Knowledge of kinematics and physical behaviors
• The Unix/Linux environment
• File management systems
• Skill in the following areas is desired:
• Traditional drawing, painting, design and/or sculpture
• 3D Modeling and Rigging
• Python, Java and/or Mel scripting
WDAS continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity, from the first fully-animated feature film, 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to 2019's Frozen 2, the biggest animated film of all time, to our 60th animated feature, Encanto, releasing November 2021. Among the studio's timeless creations are Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Frozen, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia.
This position is with Walt Disney Animation Studios Vancouver Inc., which is part of a business we call Walt Disney Animation Studios.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-dy9z9p-44-200-171-156-42 in your application.