WHO WE ARE
The Editorial team is at the core of everything New York Magazine does. Our six verticals and award-winning magazine strike the perfect balance of content that's smart and funny so that our readers know everything they need to navigate urban life and the fast-moving culture, whether that's politics, culture, food, shopping, or style trends. Editors aim to create stories and magazine events that are sharp, provocative, memorable, useful, and, at turns, both playful and serious.
The Editorial team is part of Vox Media, the leading modern media company. We guide our audience from discovery to obsession. We inspire essential conversations about what's now, what's next, and what's possible.
As a community of journalists and storytellers, business professionals, creators and technologists, we believe it is a moral and business imperative to amplify voices: to cultivate diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout our organization and media. This applies to our candidates, our teams, our storytelling, our creative work, and our platforms, products, and partnerships.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
• Partner with editors to pitch and develop sharply honed, imaginative, and sophisticated ideas and franchises for original and platform-native content that meaningfully engages our audiences on social platforms.
• Package and translate our journalism to feel native to the platforms on which they are published and without sacrificing editorial voice and integrity.
• Take initiative on planning social rollouts to amplify our biweekly magazine issue and our most original and ambitious journalism on a daily basis.
• Possess a strong visual eye and help elevate New York Magazine's visual storytelling on social platforms. Collaborate closely with editors and our visuals team and establish a workflow to translate our stories and visuals for social media.
• Develop a content strategy and calendar for New York Magazine's Instagram account.
• Inspire and motivate editorial teams to experiment with and innovate on new storytelling formats, including user-generated content stories, Instagram Stories, live and social video, live audio, platform takeovers, and other formats on emerging platforms.
• Identify opportunities to develop social talent for our platforms.
• Collaborate with a team of social editors to curate the best of our journalism from across our verticals.
• Support various special projects across editorial, podcasts, events, marketing, consumer revenue, and communications.
• Be flexible to the demands of a newsroom schedule.
• Help manage other accounts and platforms as needed, and take on other responsibilities as assigned by your manager or supervis
WHO YOU ARE
• Strong writing and editing skills, impeccable attention to detail, and an intolerance for errors
• Prior experience growing an audience, preferably on a social platform
• Strong editorial and news judgment
• Proficiency in Adobe Photoshop
• A sharp sense of humor
• Creativity and a passion for new storytelling formats
• Ability to concisely translate a complicated feature or news story on social platforms
• Strong understanding of analytics and social media trends across platforms
• A deep, pre-existing knowledge of New York City and its cultural scene
• 5 years of experience
If you think you have what it takes, but don't meet every single point in our job posting, please apply with a cover letter to let us know how you believe you can bring your unique skills to the Vox Media team or get in touch! We've hired chefs who became editors, DJs who became UX designers, and sommeliers who became writers.
WHERE YOU'LL WORK
This job is remote/in office/flex. We're dedicated to the health and wellbeing of all of our employees, and when we reopen, will require everyone who works from one of our offices to be fully-vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees with approved religious or medical exemptions may be subject to additional safety requirements, such as submitting to regular COVID-19 testing and/or wearing a face covering in our offices.
WHY VOX MEDIA?
WHAT WE OFFER
This is a permanent, full-time position. This job is benefits-eligible. We pride ourselves in providing comprehensive benefits to support all of our employees wherever they are in life. You can find more information about our benefits here.
OUR DEI+ COMMITMENT
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment where everyone can show up as their authentic selves and create their best work. We recognize that great stories, platforms, products and services come from people with all manner of backgrounds and experiences. We recognize that our commitments require ongoing work and sustained attention, as well as adaptation to new insights and best practices. We keep our diversity data public for the sake of accountability, transparency and communication. Learn more about our values here, and our approach to corporate citizenship here.
Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law. Vox Media will also consider all qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable Fair Chance laws. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations as part of the application process to candidates with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation as part of the application process, please contact our People & Culture team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
WHAT COMES NEXT
Our recruiting team will go through applications in a timely manner. Please note that our recruiting team will only contact you from @voxmedia.com email addresses, never via text message. Read more about how our recruiting team operates, and how to protect yourself from recruitment fraud, here.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d8z3wx-3-238-24-209-42 in your application.