The senior politics editor will oversee a group of reporters who will dissect the most important political stories of the day and how they intersect with policy proposals on health, climate, immigration, the economy, and other core coverage areas.
While the stories the senior politics editor will oversee will include major electoral and legislative fights, we aren't looking for coverage that's laser-focused on the horse race. The editor's role will be to help readers understand the personalities, conversations, and political battles shaping our politics and why they matter. We're interested in bringing clarity to high-profile splits and differences within the party and in surfacing and exploring less public debates that are crucial to understanding politics and policy in the US.
This editor will come up with a plan to ensure every Vox story meets a high standard, and offers clarity and adds new context or challenges preconceived notions. They will work with reporters to produce distinctive analysis, features with deep reporting, or fact-heavy explainers. This person will build and maintain professional, collaborative relationships across departments, including with leaders and members of the politics team, the science team, the foreign team, video, podcast, and visuals.
This editor should help define Vox's approach in covering policy for the next year, reporting to the editorial director of politics and policy and working closely with the politics editor. This editor should have an interest in helping writers shine and grow.
What you'll do:
• Responsible for making sure politics coverage meets a high threshold of excellence
• Managing a team of writers, possible future management of other editors
• Ensure that the team is offering clarity on the most important policies, controversies, or news moments
• Help identify how to bring discipline and deliberation to story assignments
• Work with the audience team, audio, video, and other editors across the Vox newsroom
• Prioritize coverage and know when to go big and when to slow down
• Provide empathetic leadership
What you'll bring:
• A deep understanding of the biggest policy questions in America
• A passion for politics and policy, and the effects they have on people
• An ambitious appetite for strong, distinctive work
• High editorial standards
• A desire to grow skills as a leader
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g4wjvy-3-237-16-210-42 in your application.