Copy Editor, Harper's Bazaar
New York, NY
The Cut is the premier destination for women with stylish minds. No matter the subject, we address our readers' lives head on, with generous wit, honesty, and power. We're in a dynamic conversation with women about the issues that matter to us most - politics, intersectional feminism, work, money, relationships, mental health, sex, fashion, and issues relating to equality. Our stories are organized around four categories: Style, Self, Culture, and Power - words that provide a framework for the myriad stories we tell.
We are hiring a Senior Editor to lead our Power team. You should be news-obsessed and deeply curious; tuned in and enthusiastic about social and political issues, big and small; and possess a keen appreciation for ambitious longform storytelling and an eye for fast breaking news. A sharp sense of humor is important, too. And above all, the ability to translate complex ideas into memorable features and packages-preferably someone dynamic, high-energy, and who loves challenges and starting conversations.
What you'll do:
• Manage a stable of staff writers and regular freelancers while bringing in new voices on both digital and print
• Coordinate and direct coverage of time-sensitive news events, and long-lead projects
• Pitch fresh ideas - from longform investigative features to podcast segments to op-eds - to the deputy editor and EIC on a daily basis
• Build and cultivate a network of collaborators and contacts within local and national politics, tech, nonprofits, and more
• Other responsibilities as assigned by your manager
What you'll bring:
• A minimum of 5-10 years of journalism experience, with a successful track record of editing and project-managing
• Enthusiasm for collaboration and working as a team
• Familiarity editing longform writing
• Strong understanding and passion for the editorial sensibility of The Cut
• Experience responding to breaking news
• Ability to work independently and as part of a larger team
• Bachelor's degree in journalism or related field, or commensurate experience
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r0n8pj-3-236-232-99-42 in your application.
As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.