New York Magazine is looking for a senior editor to lead Grub Street, its award-winning food and restaurant destination.
WHO WE ARE
New York Magazine obsessively chronicles the ideas, people, and cultural events that are forever reshaping our world. The New York brand includes the groundbreaking magazine New York, which is published biweekly in print, and six thriving verticals: Intelligencer, delivering national news and sharp commentary on politics, business, technology, and media; the Cut, covering the conversations that matter most to women today; Vulture, the premier destination for culture news, criticism, and service; the Strategist, dedicated to shopping the internet smartly; Curbed, covering cities and city life; and Grub Street, which is home to food news, authoritative restaurant criticism, compelling service journalism, and eye-opening essays that touch on all aspects of eating well.
Since its inception, Grub Street has become a crucial part of New York City's restaurant scene, chronicling its shifts, providing advice and insight into how the industry really works, and ensuring that our readers understand all of the food world's must-know news.
Grub Street is New York Magazine's digital destination for food and restaurant coverage, chronicling the industry's evolution and uncovering the very best things to eat, drink, and do in New York City and beyond.
As a community of journalists and storytellers, business professionals, creators and technologists, we believe it is a moral and business imperative to amplify voices: to cultivate diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout our organization and media. This applies to our candidates, our teams, our storytelling, our creative work, and our platforms, products, and partnerships.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
• Work closely with Grub Street's editor and New York's editorial leadership to realize a new era in restaurant coverage for the magazine's food department
• Work with staff writers, critics and freelance contributors to conceive and publish multiple stories per day
• Maintain Grub Street's editorial calendar
• Pitch and oversee ambitious stories, columns and packages that encompass all areas of the restaurant world
• Stay up to date on restaurant news, food trends, and hospitality industry shifts
WHO YOU ARE
• At least 5 years of editing and management experience and familiarity with the digital tools of a modern newsroom
• A deep understanding of New York's restaurant world and its key players
• A voracious reader and eater
• An ideas machine who loves to brainstorm and is constantly on the lookout for new stories.
If you think you have what it takes, but don't meet every single point in our job posting, please apply with a cover letter to let us know how you believe you can bring your unique skills to the Vox Media team or get in touch! We've hired chefs who became editors, DJs who became UX designers, and sommeliers who became writers.
WHERE YOU'LL WORK
This job is Hybrid. We're dedicated to the health and wellbeing of all of our employees, and when we reopen, will require everyone who works from one of our offices to be fully-vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees with approved religious or medical exemptions may be subject to additional safety requirements, such as submitting to regular COVID-19 testing and/or wearing a face covering in our offices.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g62wvj-3-238-204-167-42 in your application.