Vox Media is also a remote-first company. Our teams have been and always will be distributed across many regions and timezones. We work and laugh together over Zoom, Slack and collaborative documentation.
About Vox Media's Data Team:
Our data team is a small, but growing, knowledgeable group of data enthusiasts. The team exists to provide Vox Media stakeholders with democratized and integrated data solutions to gain clarity, insights, and scale on first-party data. We work full-stack, playing with infrastructure, data stores, APIs and so much more.
Our goal is to become a world-class data engineering team leading the way in developing production-ready and state-of-the-art data science solutions, and we're looking for a passionate data engineer to join our team. This role is part of the Revenue Product group and will report to the Revenue Data Engineering Manager. We are excited for you to join us!
What you'll do:
• Evaluate, revamp, and improve the data processes and needs for team stakeholders and internal customers.
• Monitor data errors and quality control on ingested data, performing the necessary steps needed to ensure delivery of timely, accurate, and available data.
• Develop scripts, parsers, and small applications to process, load or analyze data, and perform configuration management before entering into production baseline.
• Empower others to access and understand answers to their own data questions through data visualization.
• Work alongside product, revenue and editorial colleagues to deliver the best experience for our business.
• Attend daily standup/status update Zooms.
• Utilize available documentation and contribute to writing new documentation where it is needed.
• Actively track and communicate task status using project management systems (Jira).
• Collaborate often and efficiently with teammates via Slack, Zoom, Jira and email.
• Be a part of a thoughtful and energetic engineering team at Vox.
• Have fun tackling challenges and learning within a diverse team of Engineers, Data Analysts, Product Managers and Project Managers.
What you'll bring:
• Proficiency in data processing:
• Connecting and retrieving data from data sources such as: Google Ad Manager, CMS systems, social media, public repositories or Excel
• Automating queries and data warehousing: SQL, Postgresql and Google BigQuery
• Software Engineering and programming experience: Particularly in Python
• Willingness to work with remote-first teams; comfort communicating remotely through Slack, docs, video calls and diagrams.
• Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with larger multi-disciplinary teams.
• Appreciation for people. Curiosity-fueled empathy to improve those around you through culture, engineering and relationships.
• Ideas, opinions and the ability to share them through respectful code and design reviews, proposals, talks, diagrams and team-wide discussions.
• Passion for learning from and teaching those around you.
Bonus points for:
• Experience with any of the following technologies that we use:
• Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
• Ruby on Rails, Node.js
• Experimentation and optimization tools
• Apache Airflow or NiFi
• Data visualization or front-end development experience
• Exposure to and interest in Machine Learning concepts and technologies
• Expertise in engineering and operational standards, including infrastructure-as-code, governance, and automation
• Awareness of data privacy practices (GDPR and CCPA)
• Remote work experience in a team
For more on the things we're building and problems we're solving, and what it's like to work with the Product, Design & Technology teams, see our Product Team blog. In an effort to provide an inclusive and respectful working environment, all team members adhere to our code of conduct.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rjq31b-3-229-142-91-42 in your application.