Sr. Content Acquisition Manager, Music Publishing
Vice President, Business & Legal Affairs – News reports directly to the Chief Legal Officer and is the primary lawyer in charge of legal support for news programming and publications across all Vice Media properties, including Emmy and Peabody-winning television series, websites, podcasts and documentary films. Specific responsibilities include:
• Serve as the primary advisor to the Chief Legal Officer on all legal issues related to news gathering globally.
• Supervise junior lawyers providing support to news teams.
• Pre-broadcast and pre-publication review of news and documentary programming and support of news gathering activities.
• Counsel clients on issues related to intellectual property, access, defamation, privacy, reporter's privilege, FCC regulations and other areas.
• Assess legal issues related to news gathering in jurisdictions around the globe and coordinate with international counsel to obtain and implement advice.
• Respond to claims, demands, and subpoenas.
• Manage litigation related to media and news gathering activities.
• Manage compliance with OFAC and Department of Commerce regulations, anti-corruption laws, and other legal and regulatory frameworks in connection with news gathering.
• Coordinate with security team and advise on legal issues related to journalist safety in high-risk situations, both domestically and internationally.
• Negotiate and draft production and related agreements.
• Assist clients with freedom of information requests and appeals.
Skills & Qualifications
• Admitted to practice law in NY or another US state with 5-7+ years' experience at a law firm or in-house as an attorney specializing in media law.
• Significant experience in pre-broadcast/pre-publication review of news content.
• Litigation experience in libel and copyright defense strongly preferred.
• Good judgment and ability to make quick and sound risk calculations.
• Calm temperament and comfort in navigating a fast-paced and high-pressure newsroom environment.
• Excellent communication skills, including the ability to communicate legal advice to non-lawyers in a manner that is simple, clear and diplomatic.
• Strong problem-solving skills, analytical orientation, and an ability to find alternative solutions.
• Flexibility/adaptability and skill at prioritizing among multiple time-sensitive matters.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
VICE Media (VICE.com, VICE Studios, VICE TV, Virtue, VICE News, Refinery29, PULSE Films, i-D) is an equal opportunity employer. We view everyone as an individual, and we understand that inclusion is more than just diversity – it's about belonging. We celebrate the fact that everyone is unique, and that's what makes us so good at what we do. We pride ourselves on being a company that embraces difference and truly represents the global clients we work with.
This position is not eligible to be performed in Colorado.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r79m79-44-192-65-228-42 in your application.
VICE Media Group is the world’s largest independent youth media company. Launched in 1994,VICE has offices in 35 cities across the globe with a focus on five key businesses: VICE.com, an award-winning international network of digital content; VICE STUDIOS, a feature film and television production studio; VICE TV, an Emmy-winning international television network; a Peabody award-winning NEWS division with the most Emmy-awarded nightly news broadcast; and VIRTUE, a global, full-service creative agency with 25 offices around the world.