Assistant Editor, Updates
Vice Media Group
Role x You
VICE Audio develops, produces and sells cutting-edge and award-winning podcasts and other audio products in multiple languages and multiple formats around the world.
The VP, VICE Audio oversees the global audio strategy across all VMG brands (including, but not limited to, VICE News, VICE World News, Refinery29, i-D, VICE Digital, VICE TV, and Virtue, our creative agency). The VP sets the creative vision as well as the business strategy for Audio. This role is a thought leader, a team player and a doer who can work across multiple lines of business and editorial priorities.
The VP will maintain the existing international, multilingual slate and oversee development of new shows across multiple genres.That includes managing and leading a team of ~20 whose focus is telling immersive stories tied to a wide range of issues.
Audio is a growing business at Vice - we want you to feel comfortable identifying and executing on new areas of opportunity in a rapidly changing industry.
Vice Audio has four sources of revenue: commissions, advertising sales, white-label production and exploitation/expansion of wholly-owned IP; ideally the VP has experience in these areas. You will also work at a high level with VICE marketing and audience development to set strategy for launches and audio in general.
This position reports to the Global President of News and Entertainment for VMG. The VP will be the ambassador for VMG's audio content as the company's main representative in the podcast marketplace.
In the short term…
• Understand and oversee the development and production process, including piloting
• Lead on creating an ongoing editorial vision for an original, high quality podcast slate
• Manage and lead the VICE Audio team
After 6 months in this role...
• Have a vision for future partnerships with VMG Lines of Business (News, Vice TV, the Digital Publishing Brands, Studios) to create podcasts from existing IP or talent
• Develop and execute a strategy for the slate's distribution and monetization; oversee the production of projects that have been greenlit
• Maintain and grow relationships with commissioners as well as other potential partners
• Create an overall business strategy for Audio and lead on its execution
• Cultivate new opportunities, including maintaining and developing partnerships
• Set an editorial vision and provide topline editorial feedback at key moments
• Lead on production standards and practices including liaising with legal and safety
• Oversee staffing, hiring, and management of Audio team
• Provide regular oversight on budgets across Audio
You have these:
• Minimum 8 years of experience in podcast/audio industry
• Minimum 5 years experience in the business side of podcasting
• A strong creative and strategic vision
• The ability to manage a core team of audio producers and sound designers, and liaise with outside resources both domestically and internationally
• An intimate understanding of production timelines and the ability to resource and budget productions appropriately
• Excellent communication skills
• Demonstrated leadership and people management skills - ideally with experience working with journalists, creatives and shared resource teams
• Excellent knowledge of podcast outlets and strong relationships with buyers; a proven commercial track record
We'd love if you also have these:
• Experience in Documentary and News; a track record of creating impactful journalism
• Ability to run a relatively new line of business, and thrive in an entrepreneurial environment
• Comfort with setting a strong editorial strategy
• Interest in multilingual podcasting for international/bilingual audiences – experience in translation and/or non-english language podcasting
• An eye for talent and ability to nurture and manage it
• Interest in a wide range of genres and material with an appetite for creative risk
• A love for the audio medium and high level sound design
• Ability to articulate an inspiring vision and provide concrete direction and feedback
• Ability to inspire and promote an inclusive and collaborative work environment
Equal Opportunity Employer:
VICE Media (VICE.com, VICE Studios, VICE TV, Virtue, VICE News, Refinery29, PULSE Films, i-D) is an equal opportunity employer. We view everyone as an individual, and we understand that inclusion is more than just diversity – it's about belonging. We celebrate the fact that everyone is unique, and that's what makes us so good at what we do. We pride ourselves on being a company that embraces difference and truly represents the global clients we work with.
This position is not eligible to be performed in Colorado.
Candidates, please note that if you are contacted by anyone with an email other than @vice.com purporting to be recruiting on behalf of Vice Media, it is not legitimate, and you should not engage.
The salary range is subject to change and may be amended in the future. Experience, education, skills, and other factors are considered when determining the salary offered.
Pay Range Details:
New York/California: 190,000 - 230,000 USD
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gm9092-3-235-195-196-42 in your application.
VICE Media Group is the world’s largest independent youth media company. Launched in 1994,VICE has offices in 35 cities across the globe with a focus on five key businesses: VICE.com, an award-winning international network of digital content; VICE STUDIOS, a feature film and television production studio; VICE TV, an Emmy-winning international television network; a Peabody award-winning NEWS division with the most Emmy-awarded nightly news broadcast; and VIRTUE, a global, full-service creative agency with 25 offices around the world.