Full Time Job
Senior Legal Counsel, India and APAC
Vice Media Group
- Full Time
- Senior (5-10 years) Experience
VICE Media Group's portfolio includes Refinery29, the leading global media and entertainment company focused on women; PULSE Films, a London-based next generation production studio with outposts in Los Angeles, New York, Paris and Berlin; and i-D, a global digital and bimonthly magazine defining fashion and contemporary culture.
VICE is looking for a senior lawyer with experience in production and commercial work to join its APAC legal team. You will advise our APAC leadership business on legal and strategic issues and work with the global legal team. The position will primarily support VICE's production, distribution and sales teams, as well as provide support for general business matters. The role will be based in Vice's India office in Mumbai but with remote working initially.
Who we're looking for:
You are a highly motivated self-starter with the ability to work in a fast paced, high volume environment and can prioritise requests from multiple departments. You are a team player and enjoy the challenge of finding solutions to complex legal issues. You have a good sense of humour and can develop good working relationships with our production and commercial teams in India and globally. You have a strong understanding of the law and can apply your knowledge and practical experience to quickly assess risks and propose solutions.
Experience and Skills:
• Qualified lawyer in India (or
other Common Law jurisdiction), with the ability to work in India.
• 8+ years of progressively senior legal and business affairs experience, gained either in house or in private practice (or, ideally, a combination of the two). Experience in a media production company, distributor, broadcaster, digital provider or agency preferred.
• Capable of building strong internal client relationships at all levels of the business, and effectively advising clients under conditions of uncertainty, high-pressure and/or high-risk. Can generate strong client satisfaction through quick turnaround and firm decision-making, including decisions around deal structuring and key commercial considerations such as IP ownership and back-end participation.
• Possess excellent negotiating, drafting, analytical skills for a variety of commercial and production agreements, including all forms of releases, development agreements, co-production and commissioning agreements, services agreements, and distribution and licensing.
• Experience managing a high volume of productions and numerous internal clients.
• The ability to advise on high-risk film production.
• Experience in advertising, marketing, adtech data protection and media contracts and in media and intellectual property law.
• Experience both managing direct reports and serving in indirect leadership roles.
• Draft, review, analyse, and negotiate a wide variety of contracts including service, development, advertising, scripted and non-scripted production, sponsorships, collaboration, licensing, NDAs and SOWs.
• Provide guidance and support to the company's regional commercial and production teams.
• Advise on articles and editorial content published in the region.
• Anticipate, communicate and propose mitigation strategies for potential risks in contractual, regulatory, compliance and legal areas.
• Work with global legal counsel and the Rights and Clearance team.
• Supervise the corporate secretary.
• Implement Vice policies and compliance requirements in APAC.
• Conduct various additional legal and ad hoc projects as required.
Working at VICE:
From a career perspective the opportunity to work as a lawyer for VICE is transformative. The experience you gain in this company in even a short space of time will be unrivalled. Our workload is diverse, the learning curve is steep and we work hard. But you will never be bored and you will be part of a really close-knit and fun team.
Vice Media Group
VICE Media Group is the world’s largest independent youth media company. Launched in 1994,VICE has offices in 35 cities across the globe with a focus on five key businesses: VICE.com, an award-winning international network of digital content; VICE STUDIOS, a feature film and television production studio; VICE TV, an Emmy-winning international television network; a Peabody award-winning NEWS division with the most Emmy-awarded nightly news broadcast; and VIRTUE, a global, full-service creative agency with 25 offices around the world.