Role X You
VICE Media Group (''VMG'') is excited to expand our Global Employment team, currently consisting of one lawyer and one paralegal! This role is designated as 'hybrid' and will be based in Brooklyn, NY (with flexibility in some other East Coast markets), as well as your home office. You will report to our SVP, Business & Legal Affairs, Global Employment. This role is truly global in scope as VMG currently operates in 20+ offices across North America, LATAM, EMEA and APAC. You will provide global advice and counselling on labor and employment issues, as well as litigation management, throughout all of our regions, as assigned by the SVP. No one workday is ever the same at VMG, and so while this job description captures some of the responsibilities that encompass this role, it is impossible to capture everything! Given the global nature of the role, you will at times be expected to work hours outside of the normal business day (e.g., early mornings or late evenings) to provide support to international markets.
• Advise on employment law matters globally, working closely with the human resources team, external counsel and the wider legal team throughout all of our areas of the world.
• Counsel internal clients globally on a range of issues, including investigations, performance management, internal restructurings, accommodations, leaves of absence, COVID-compliance, employee relations, wage and hour and union issues.
• Draft agreements, including severance agreements, executive employment agreements, and other contracts and forms.
• Provide legal training within the company to ensure compliance with legal, regulatory and contractual obligations.
• Update templates, forms, and maintain policies based on regular legislative changes.
• Assist in pre-litigation activities, including working with outside counsel to develop defense strategies, fact gathering with internal clients, and ultimately responding to threatened litigation.
• Manage union and guild issues, including responding to grievances, advising on CBA interpretation, and assisting the business with compliance-related questions.
• A Juris Doctor degree from an ABA-accredited law school and strong academic credentials.
• Admission to NY state bar, in good standing, or the ability to register as in-house counsel.
• Between 3-5 years of substantial (US and international) employment legal experience gained at a law firm, government agency, and/or in-house legal department.
• Deep understanding of employment law principles, with the ability to advise on a range of issues and provide on-the-spot advice, where necessary.
• Ability to work independently and with a large degree of autonomy.
• Strong communication skills and an ability to explain legal matters clearly for both lawyers and non-lawyers.
• Highly organized, detail oriented and self-motivated.
We'd love if you had these
• Experience working with labor unions and/or works councils.
• California and international (non-US) labor and employment experience.
From a career perspective the opportunity to work as a lawyer for VICE is transformative. The experience you gain in this company in even a short space of time will be unrivalled.
Our workload is diverse, the learning curve is steep and we work hard. But you will never be bored and you will be part of a really close-knit and fun team. If you match the criteria above we look forward to hearing from you.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
VICE Media (VICE.com, VICE Studios, VICE TV, Virtue, VICE News, Refinery29, PULSE Films, i-D) is an equal opportunity employer. We view everyone as an individual, and we understand that inclusion is more than just diversity – it's about belonging. We celebrate the fact that everyone is unique, and that's what makes us so good at what we do. We pride ourselves on being a company that embraces difference and truly represents the global clients we work with.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r1p0ev-34-207-247-69-42 in your application.