The Associate Editor is a key creative and editorial role for VICE JAX, responsible for researching, initiating, planning, writing, and reviewing content, as well as supporting the overarching direction of the media brand and publishing effort. Working closely with the Editorial Director, Managing Editor, and Editorial Supervisor, this role will assist with creative ideation, research, cultural tastemaking, and building strong relationships with content creators within KSA and abroad, and a strong editorial network to power on content creation.
The Associate Editor should have a particular interest in culture, from pop culture to Saudi heritage, across areas including food, travel, music, comedy, fashion, design, sport, literature, film, and performing arts. The Associate Editor should be part of the cultural world in KSA, with a great network of contacts and an ear to the ground, aware of up and coming creators, trends, areas of interest, and cultural subject matter of interest to a broad audience. The Associate Editor should have a strong understanding of Saudi culture and content, and a distinctive point of view, as well as a view on GCC and global popular culture, with a keen eye for what works internationally that could be adapted for a local audience.
The Associate Editor may also take a direct role in individual show productions, from research and writing, to participation in production, and in some cases as on screen talent if the opportunity aligns with their interests.
The Associate Editor will work closely with domestic and international creative teams to align content with our brand direction and to help craft fruitful partnerships. They will take an active role in managing all content partners and individual talents ensuring that they deliver against the planned content calendar, as well as auditing and ensuring that the content abides by the cultural considerations by following the stakeholders guidelines and requests.
JAX is a joint venture between VICE and MBC Group. JAX Media's primary directive is to create a leading platform for quality digital Arabic language content centred on modern culture anchored in Saudi Arabia. While this role will focus on the delivery of the JAX Media proposition, it should also support and responsibly represent VICE's growing presence in KSA more broadly.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Support and facilitate JAX Media content strategy and implementation
• Serve as a day to day liaison for local content creators, key talent, and project stakeholders in aid of successful content delivery
• Support the content team on an editorial and a creative level with a focus on maximising audience impact
• Support with market-specific insight, landscape assessment, and strategy to insure that content follows JAX Media brand strategy
• Maintain strong knowledge of and relationships with the editorial outlets, production houses, individual talents, and media industry
• Support the recruitment of talent and identification of potential content partners
• Support successful delivery of content plans and performance against targets and KPIs set by the Editorial Director and Managing Editor
• Ensure that JAX Media content deliver to the highest standards of editorial creativity, quality, and integrity
• Serve as a liaison and ambassador for JAX Media and VICE Media in KSA
• Fluent in Arabic and English
• Proven experience creating and delivering quality content in KSA
• 2+ years of relevant editorial and media work experience
• Strong knowledge of KSA and GCC cultural landscape
• Experience navigating cultural and governmental considerations in KSA
ABOUT VICE MEDIA GROUP
VICE is the world's preeminent youth media company and content creation studio. Launched in 1994, VICE now operates in over 30 countries and distributes its programming to hundreds of millions of viewers each month across digital, linear, mobile, film and socials.
VICE includes an international network of digital channels; a television and feature film production studio; a magazine; a record label; an in-house creative services agency; a book-publishing division; and an international TV network
VICE Arabia is one of the newest and fastest growing regions of VICE with headquarters in Riyadh as well as offices and operations in Abu Dhabi and Dubai.
Candidates, please note that if you are contacted by anyone with an email other than @vice.com purporting to be recruiting on behalf of Vice Media, it is not legitimate, and you should not engage.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gxxj1q-18-232-31-255-42 in your application.