Senior Editor, One World & New Pop Culture
Penguin Random House
New York, NY
Refinery29 elevates and celebrates the voices and experiences of young women, with a passion for service, storytelling and new ideas across six core categories - style, beauty, lifestyle, entertainment, wellness, and news.
Refinery29 is an ambitious, fast-paced brand, driven by a desire to educate, inspire, and give voice to our audience, while opening up important new conversations and challenging the status quo. We look to expand the audience and impact of R29, with an eye towards integrity, innovation, and inclusivity.
About the Shopping team:
The content led by the Shopping team refines the global marketplace for Refinery29's smart, driven, and stylish audience with expansive, creative storytelling that is expertly researched and crafted with the intent to convert reader into shopper. We always put the audience's needs first and focus on products that will enhance her life. We consider any purchase - big or small - to be an investment.
The articles written by the Shopping team operate separately from our editorial team, with the goal of generating affiliate revenue from sales of goods & services featured in the articles.This role is a non-union position that is not recognized by a collective bargaining agreement.
About the job:
Drive inspiration and conversation around shoppable content for young women focusing on the goods & services that will enhance her life. Optimize affiliate shopping stories to help achieve revenue goals and serve up quality in product picks. Ideate deal-focused stories and series that aim to deliver breaking sales news, and unique 5-star products at a great price. Source what's next from influencers, social media, community, experts, and most of all The Market Hunt in all corners of life. Identify the best deals online that Refinery29 readers would be most excited about.
What you'll do:
• Help with a mix of administrative tasks, writing, research, and production based on the needs of the team
• Collaborate with the SEO, Social, Email, and Affiliate teams to optimize content as needed
• Cover the best deals for our audience - pitch and execute creative ways to package shoppable content
• Write 1 - 3 affiliate shopping stories per day (original content, first-person reviews, trending pieces, and updates)
• Use search data, Google trends, cultural events, and affiliate retail sources to inform your product selection
• Assist in reporting performance to gain and share valuable insights
• Build one shopping newsletter a week
• Be an enthusiastic member of the team, continuously offering fresh ideas and pitches you won't find at any other publications
• Must be available to work during the biggest shopping events of the season including: Prime Day, Black Friday, and Cyber Week
What you possess:
• Exceptional writing skills that can be quickly and cleanly used to write a unique take
• The ability to find new life and story lines in evergreen topics
• An interest in analytics, consumer behavior, and market trends
• A passion for hunting down the best, most exciting, clever, unique, sharply-priced, and most value products - the kinds of goods you'd authentically want to share with a friend
To be successful here you are:
• Comfortable and energized working in a fast-paced, high volume operation
• Collaborative and open to feedback in pursuit of constantly pushing content to new heights
• Ready to adapt with an ever-changing environment and industry
VICE Media Group is the world’s largest independent youth media company. Launched in 1994,VICE has offices in 35 cities across the globe with a focus on five key businesses: VICE.com, an award-winning international network of digital content; VICE STUDIOS, a feature film and television production studio; VICE TV, an Emmy-winning international television network; a Peabody award-winning NEWS division with the most Emmy-awarded nightly news broadcast; and VIRTUE, a global, full-service creative agency with 25 offices around the world.